Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-6 of 6
Art project- Suggestions - Started by: Delta
Art project- Suggestions
Posted: 02 Jan 2007, 04:52 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 02 Jan 2007, 05:43 PM.

Hello all; One of my recent art projects was to make a series of mermaid drawings. Seems simple enough, but my goal was to expand on that genre.

Most mermaids you see are Caucasian with seashell tops. Not a whole lot of cultural diversity. That's why my goal is to depict mermaids of many ethnicities, the kind you never see as mermaids. So, if you have any suggestions, please post here. If you'd like, you could also post a link to an image showing cultural clothing, which I'd also like to include.

If you'd like to see what I've made so far, feel free to look at my gallery. I'm wondering what people think of my style of anatomy (Keep in mind that the few culturally diverse ones I've made so far aren't here yet) :

http://www.side7.com/cgi-bin/S7SDB/Display.pl?act=bio&aid=18060

-Delta-

Posted: 02 Jan 2007, 07:01 PM

I like the idea. I do see mostly caucasian mermaids, I look forward to seeing your culturally diverse mermaids. Some appropriate scenery could really give it an authentic feel, like Indian Ocean sea life and plants for an Indian mermaid. I might have to try something to this theme myself. Keep us posted.

Posted: 03 Jan 2007, 10:40 AM
Jinx:
I like the idea. I do see mostly caucasian mermaids, I look forward to seeing your culturally diverse mermaids. Some appropriate scenery could really give it an authentic feel, like Indian Ocean sea life and plants for an Indian mermaid. I might have to try something to this theme myself. Keep us posted.

I never thought of using cultural scenery; that's a good idea. :)

I've received a few suggestions so far and I hope to upload one to my Side7 gallery soon. Any suggestions on what cultures to use?

-Delta-

Posted: 04 Jan 2007, 04:50 AM

I once drew a merduck. It had the aft section of a dolphin and the top of an anthropomorphic duck.

How about these ideas from real myths? Mermaids have been around since at least the Assyrians (who lived in Mesopotamia). Other cultures beyond Europeans include American Indians such as the Iriquois and those in the Caribbean, Russians, Japanese, and several cultures in Africa. The Melusine of Europe had two fish tails or a serpent's tail.

How about Polynesian? They did a lot of sailing and often worked around water.

Posted: 05 Jan 2007, 02:56 PM
Roadstripe:
I once drew a merduck. It had the aft section of a dolphin and the top of an anthropomorphic duck.

How about these ideas from real myths? Mermaids have been around since at least the Assyrians (who lived in Mesopotamia). Other cultures beyond Europeans include American Indians such as the Iriquois and those in the Caribbean, Russians, Japanese, and several cultures in Africa. The Melusine of Europe had two fish tails or a serpent's tail.

How about Polynesian? They did a lot of sailing and often worked around water.

Those are some great ideas. I especially like the Native American idea, I haven't thought of something like that before.

I'd also like to include cultures that don't have any particular connection to mermaid myths. Basically, I'd like to include any that people think up. :)

-Delta-

Subject: RE: Art project- Suggestions
Posted: 07 Feb 2008, 09:55 AM

You could even do a western cow girl mermaid, if you wanted to!

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-6 of 6