Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-7 of 7
REALLY THIN pens? - Started by: Jinx
REALLY THIN pens?
Posted: 06 Apr 2007, 10:21 AM

I'm working on a really detailed picture and I don't know how I'm going to ink it. Normally, I use Micron or similar pens, but some areas of this picture are too detailed for even the smallest width pens to be effective. I simply don't have the control to use a pressure-sensitive inking pen with nib. I don't know much about different types of pens and ink and I wondered if anyone here might know of a pen that can provide an extremely thin line.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Posted: 07 Apr 2007, 09:28 AM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 07 Apr 2007, 09:28 AM.

welll
I know about rapidographs...
http://www.at-imai.co.jp/products/productimg/rapidograph.jpg
they have a VARIETY of noses and some extremely thin that you re afraid to even touch!
I donno how much those cost though, it's been ages since I bought one
What I personally use, is a http://www.creastore.com/images/PLP2.jpg
They too come in various thickness, starting from very thick as 8 (and even thicker) and very thin as 0.1 which I believe is excellent for small details in pictures

Posted: 07 Apr 2007, 12:04 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 07 Apr 2007, 12:31 PM.

Wow, those are expensive. But they go three sizes smaller than the smallest pen size I've used. Certainly looks like what I need. Anybody know if there's a cheaper alternative?

EDIT: Scratch that, went browsing myself. Here's an unrelated question, though... anybody know any online art stores aside from Dick Blick that ship to Canada?

Oh, and thanks very much for the information, Poseidon. Technical pens seem to be exactly what I need.

Posted: 08 Apr 2007, 12:08 PM

I really like this store: Nasco Arts and Crafts

It might cost more to ship to Canada, but they do take orders! I've bought a few things from them in past. =)

Posted: 09 Apr 2007, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the link. Looks like it might be a good store, but they seem to do the same thing as Dick Blick for international orders, give you a quote after you've placed the order. Such is the life of living outside the U.S. :)

I did find an online store in Canada that sells what I'm looking for. Now if only we had $20 to spare, I'd be in business. Blasted car repairs and immigration fees.

Posted: 09 Apr 2007, 10:37 PM

I'm not sure if they have what you're looking for, but [url=www.currys.com]Curry's[/url] and [url=www.abovegroundartsupplies.com]Above Ground Art Supplies[/url] both have online stores, and are Canadian.

Posted: 10 Apr 2007, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the links. I'll have a look at them.

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-7 of 7