Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-5 of 5
Crit very much appreciated!!! - Started by: randiradio
Crit very much appreciated!!!
Posted: 03 May 2007, 08:59 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 03 May 2007, 08:59 PM.

Hello Side7!

I've finally got some finished art uploaded, and I'm transitioning my comic universe from furry to humanoid. I could really really use some critique, particularly regarding coloring. I may pretend I know what I'm doing when I color things, but I really don't. My latest image is at the following address:
http://www.side7.com/cgi-bin/S7SDB/Display.pl?act=image&iid=327625

Thanks so much!!

Posted: 04 May 2007, 09:01 AM

This is an unrelated thought, but you might want to increase the compression of your images or otherwise find a way to decrease the file size. 700kb is really way too big for an image of these dimensions. Personally, I refuse to load images any larger than about 300k, max, partially because I have limited bandwidth available each month. Increasing compression just a little bit can have a dramatic effect on file size while retaining quality.

Posted: 04 May 2007, 12:59 PM

Is increasing compression normally done during the scanning process? I use GraphicConverter to resize and can't find anything about file compression.

Posted: 05 May 2007, 03:02 AM

Typically, compression is done on the final save, when you're finished with your work and want to post it somewhere.
Normally, I scan in my picture as a .bmp; do all the manipulation I want to make with it on my graphics program (the gimp), such as coloring, cleanup, etc.; and then save it once as a full-size .bmp and then resize for my final, uploadable picture. Typically, I also have the cleaned-up scanned lineart saved as its own file.
For the actual compression, I first resize the picture. A good rule of thumb is to scale the picture so that a viewer doesn't have to scroll in order to see all of it. I typically prefer to make the height or width (whichever is longer) under 700 pixels across.
Next, I save it as either a .jpg or a .png. .Jpgs allows one to adjust how much the picture is compressed, but I don't like them as they tend to leave artifacts in the picture. In my opinion, .pngs are better. Though a person can't choose how much to compress a picture with a .png, it usually isn't a worry.

Posted: 13 May 2007, 12:34 AM

Thank you!!

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-5 of 5