Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-12 of 12
What games are you looking forward to or series revived? - Started by: kzeor
What games are you looking forward to or series revived?
Posted: 20 Mar 2010, 04:14 PM

I am a huge Devil May Cry fan so I am waiting for the day they announce another installment in the series. I also am looking forward to another Zelda game for the Wii.

Other series that I'd like to see more of:
Onimusha
Shadow Hearts
Kingdom Hearts
Dark Cloud

What do you want to see?

Posted: 21 Mar 2010, 09:50 AM

I'll second the Zelda game, and also add in a new Fire Emblem for Wii. Generally, I'd just like more interesting games for Wii. =P

Posted: 23 Mar 2010, 02:50 PM

Oddly enough, Dungeon Lords. Loved that game. Still do.

Posted: 23 Mar 2010, 05:42 PM

Sadly I'm almost manically obsessed with LotR: The Third Age. If they could make more of that one I'd be all over it, but I think the general demand for LotR has died down. So, little hope there.

Most of the ones I was really looking forward to have come out:

L4D One and two
Fallout
Ghostbusters
Arkham Asylum

Mostly I really wish game designers could take all their fancy new CGI capabilities and use them to revamp some of the really fun old games, like Resident Evil and Parasite Eve. The original games were and still are some of the most fun I've played, and yet, to see them redone in better graphics, make the playability a little more fluid. It would be tre awesome!

So, yeah, my two cents...from a gamer chick who hasn't beaten a game successfully since Sonic the Hedgehog was on Sega Genesis...

Posted: 04 Apr 2010, 10:01 PM

I have never played a Fire Emblem game. Which is the first and I will look for it.

Posted: 04 Apr 2010, 10:03 PM

Parasite Eve...I never owned that one but borrowed it years ago from a friend.

Posted: 05 Apr 2010, 10:13 PM

To my recollection, the first Fire Emblem was for Famicom or Super Famicom and was not released in the U.S. until just a couple years ago, for Nintendo DS. It's irrelevant, though; the games are all standalone and as far as I am aware, there isn't much continuity, if any, between most of them. I've only played Sacred Stones for GBA and Radiant Dawn for Wii, and both were very engaging.

I picked up Parasite Eve a couple years ago... still don't have a working system to play it. =P

Posted: 06 Apr 2010, 06:05 AM
Quote:
I picked up Parasite Eve a couple years ago... still don't have a working system to play it.

Really? I thought all the Playstation stuff was retro compatible. I've still got an original Playstation, as well as the PS2. I could probably mail you the original system if you like. I don't really use it anymore since everything plays on the PS2. :)

I'd like to ask if anyone here has had any luck with emulators. I managed to download an NES emulator (known as NESticle, which is hilarious to me. The icon even looks exactly like you'd expect) just so I could play the original Legend of Zelda again. So now I'm wondering if any of the more advanced systems have emulators and if they're any good.

Posted: 06 Apr 2010, 10:03 PM

Oh, I don't have any modern Playstation systems. ^_^ My original PSX broke and the supposedly indefinitely borrowed PS2 was taken back. Thanks so much for the offer, but it's probably not worth it for the shipping. I can buy a used PS2 for $30, I just haven't gotten around to it, mostly because I have other games - namely for GBA - that I haven't touched yet, despite having for years.

I've only used NES and SNES emulators. Most people seem to prefer Zsnes, but personally, I always liked snes9x better. I didn't have any of the stability problems I've heard reported and I found the GUI easier to deal with. I can give some game recommendations if you do download an SNES emulator, mainly a game from the Mana series that was never released in the U.S.

Posted: 07 Apr 2010, 05:43 AM

Cool, cool.

You know, I don't think I ever even played SNES. I skipped right over it to the next one. I don't remember what the silly thing is called now. I got it for free because it had been a demo system used in a Gamestop. I only have the one game it came with, Pokemon Stadium, which my husband will no longer play with me because I can wipe the floor with him. :)

Posted: 28 Jun 2010, 08:26 PM

Well sadly there was no word of Devil May Cry 5 at E3 but we do get Dante in Marvel vs. Capcom. Right now I a playing LoZ Oot Master Quest. Kind of interested in seeing exactly what the 3DS looks like.

Posted: 29 Jun 2010, 04:41 PM
This post has been edited 3 times. Last edit on 29 Jun 2010, 04:46 PM.

@_@ I've done so much writing about E3 that I don't really think I can meaningfully contribute to this thread without my head exploding.

I will say I'm arse-onver-tea-kettle in anticipation of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Seeing previews of it has given me the urge to play through OOT again. I hope SS has a similar level of depth and, to use Tim Rogers' terms because I've been obsessively reading everything he's written for Kotaku recently, friction. Oh! Here! Here's a little Zelda rambling that I did on another site re: this article.

Quote:
I suppose it really is the way you have to engage each and every enemy psychologically that makes OOT the bestest game ever IMO. Stalfos make you feel tense and alert; you can't just bash away or you're gonna get your ass beat; you have to watch them and read their moves and wait, not boredly but on a hair trigger, for them to give you an opening. Dark Link, quadruplely so (if you don't use the Megaton Hammer, which I still think is cheating). Even in the fishing pond, you feel like you have to employ a certain level of finesse in how you angle your fishing rod, just so, so that the fish loses a little ground (er, water) in its fight against you. You have to stand in just the right spot, preferably behind a rock while wearing your Iron Boots so you can brace your feet, to get at certain fish, and even if you can reach them, standing in certain relative spots makes it much harder to reel them in. These subtle differences in angle and stance have huge effects on your ability to land them; it's attention to detail, a.k.a. sticky friction, on an absurd level. Don't even get me started on the Sinking Lure or the mythical Hylian Loach. I've caught the Loach. Twice. I genuinely feel like that makes me a hero.

TP lacked this stickiness. I've never been able to put my finger on just why I couldn't get into TP the same way I can with OOT, but I think this is it. Enemies, even stalfos, give me a certain sense of smug superiority because they're just so easy to mow through; I don't have to engage them to kill them (darknuts and iron knuckles, maybe). It's satisfying in a different way, but less so, and after a while it just feels empty. I actually get bored in the fishing pond because the fish just aren't as engaging; all you have to do is hold the Reel button, let go when it jumps (and this addition of timed button-releasing adds absolutely nothing to the engagingness), you catch a fish, whoop-dee-doo. In OOT, I can literally spend weeks (Hyrule time) in the fishing pond, because the fish really feel like they're fighting for their lives, and the subtle finesse you have to use to catch them makes you feel like you've really achieved something when you succeed at catching one. They feel hard to pull in - not necessarily difficult, but responsive and, well, heavy - in a way that TP's fish don't. In TP, I push myself to waste a whole day and night in the pond, cute attendant or not. But sometimes, I'll load up OOT just to fish.

I'm also totally excited for the 3DS. As an aspiring game developer myself, the potential camera controls alone make me happy in my pants.

(Edited because I fail at formatting. Seriously, this little disclaimer would be as big as my whole screen if I hadn't decided to use the Preview button for once.)

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-12 of 12