Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-2 of 2
Comic Creating - Started by: karerosa
Comic Creating
Posted: 25 Jun 2010, 10:28 PM

I was hoping I could get some advice on making my first-story comic.

I have characters and a basic plot but when it came to starting to draw, I had trouble deciding on how I wanted to draw it. Since I have a plot, should I write it out as a story and change it into script form and break it up that way? Or is it better to just start drawing and let the story flow naturally/redo stuff later?

Thanks!

Posted: 28 Jun 2010, 04:34 PM

It depends on your writing style, really. I would start with a basic outline/synopsis of the story; not too concrete to give the characters room to evolve as they will, but enough of an idea so I'd know where the story was going. Then I'd write the comic as a script, focusing on visuals and telling the story through dialogue and images. From there I'd draw thumbnail sketches for each page to get an idea of layout before doing the final drawing at full size. I also learned a good tip from a comic artist once to letter the text as one of the first steps in the process, even if you plan to do the text digitally, so that you leave enough room for it on the page and don't cover up anything important in the drawings. Good luck!

* I should point out that I have almost no experience with story comics, though I have one scripted that I will, someday, draw.

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-2 of 2