Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-6 of 6
Need mythological creatures! - Started by: Jinx
Need mythological creatures!
Posted: 16 Feb 2007, 01:09 PM

I had an idea to do a series of images of mythological creatures after I drew a griffin recently. I liked the style and thought I'd make it a series of four. I have two done so far. The third I was intending to draw would be a dragon, but I'm held up trying to come up with the fourth.

I'm looking for another classic, somewhat universal mythological creature like those. I want to avoid humanlike creatures, because art style for humans is really subjective and I wanted this series to be fairly generic in style. I'm also trying to avoid creatures that are similar to the ones I already have, like wyverns, hippocamps, pegasi, etc., as I'm really looking for a bit of variety to the creatures themselves.

Any suggestions what creature to draw for the fouth image, anyone? Maybe a phoenix or cockatrice? Any other ideas? All comments welcome and appreciated.

Posted: 16 Feb 2007, 02:48 PM

Ooh, a phoenix would be really cool in your style :)

How about a hippocamp? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocamp

Posted: 17 Feb 2007, 12:46 AM

A composite animal, a mammal, and a saurian (which is not necessarily a reptile). I would think a bird would best round it off. The phoenix would be your best bet there, I should think.

Posted: 17 Feb 2007, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the comments. I hadn't even thought of phoenix until I was just posting this, but it seems to be the winner. Although, the hippocamp wasn't as similar to the unicorn as I was at first thinking. Heck, if I feel the inspiration, maybe I'll push the series beyond the four.

Thanks again, Feral and CyberCorn!

Posted: 20 Feb 2007, 09:15 AM

well there is theres the unicorn of course
or the ki-lin the chinese unicorn
mermmaid..
centaur.. half man half horse...
sphynx, half woman half lion (some show her with wings too)
or the egyptian lynx which is male
satyr... man with goat legs and horns...
pegasus..
phoenix...
the salamander had mythical fire owers. they believed it could live in fire...
manticore... a feline with a man face (although people believe its just description of a tiger that went.. to farXD)
bigfoot or yeti ;)
chimaira (lion with a second goat head and a snake on its tail)
basilisck which was actually a spitting cobra

i have more but i dont know their anme sin english :D

Posted: 20 Feb 2007, 12:25 PM

A really good resource might be any beastiary from Dungeons & Dragons, since they take a significantly large portion of their creatures from many mythoi.

-- BK

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-6 of 6