Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-5 of 5
DevBlog - Side 7 v4 (30 July 2007) - Started by: BadKarma
DevBlog - Side 7 v4 (30 July 2007)
Posted: 30 Jul 2007, 01:27 PM

So, v4 is progressing rather well. I'm getting terribly excited about the project again. My apathy about it is ebbing, and my motivation is picking up. I'm finding myself more interested in spending my spare time working on v4 rather than vegging out in front of a video game.

The past weekend was spent doing some database structure updates for v4, and updating the database migration script to start importing new bits of data that I'm now ready to work with (mostly image and gallery comments). Doing this bit of fun has lead me to a major bug in my database migration script that was causing a memory leak, and reduced the migration run-time from three hours to fifteen minutes. WOOT! Go me. :P

Layout designs are solidifying as I progress, too, which is making it more fun to deal with. The programming style I've been using for nearly four years now is proving just how extensible and reusable it is. Maintenance and modification of code is really simple, too, so my primary global libraries are being updated as I roll, as well. This, of course, causes those changes to trickle down to the other couple of sites that are using the global libraries, too, and improves their performance as well.

THIS is why I love doing this stuff. I wouldn't rank myself as a guru of my language of choice or anything, but I've improved in my programming by orders of magnitude over the last 8 years (my first foray into web programming with Side 7).

I'm keeping copious notes in a system to track the updates that need to be done, and it's great to see them being checked off almost as quickly as new ones are going on the list. It's making the project much more enjoyable to deal with, that's for sure.

No screenshot updates this time, I'm afraid. But, more will be coming soon.

-- BK

Posted: 31 Jul 2007, 12:20 AM

My dad once told a programming class he once taught that computer programming can be better than sex. They laughed him off at first, but, at the end of the course, they admitted to him that he was right.

I'm more than pleased that you're continuing work on the new Side 7. I'm also happy you're having a blast. :)

Posted: 31 Jul 2007, 02:41 PM
Roadstripe:
My dad once told a programming class he once taught that computer programming can be better than sex. They laughed him off at first, but, at the end of the course, they admitted to him that he was right.

I'm more than pleased that you're continuing work on the new Side 7. I'm also happy you're having a blast. :)

Hehe. Your Dad is right. Sometimes it can be. :D

Yes, this is becoming a fun project again. I think much of it is my attitude, which I've been working on trying to change overall in my life. Spent too much time becoming surly, sarcastic, sulky and jaded, looking at problems from a point of view of blame and hopelessness, rather than looking at problems from the point of view of solutions.

Now, I'm looking at this as a rebirth; a Grand Re-Opening. This site is going to be awesome. :)

-- BK

Posted: 31 Jul 2007, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Quoth BadKarma:
Yes, this is becoming a fun project again. I think much of it is my attitude, which I've been working on trying to change overall in my life. Spent too much time becoming surly, sarcastic, sulky and jaded, looking at problems from a point of view of blame and hopelessness, rather than looking at problems from the point of view of solutions.

Now, I'm looking at this as a rebirth; a Grand Re-Opening. This site is going to be awesome. :)

Side 7: Phoenix Edition? :P

Posted: 31 Jul 2007, 09:47 PM
Roadstripe:
Side 7: Phoenix Edition? :P

Something like that, yeah. :P

-- BK

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-5 of 5