Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-7 of 7
Art programs for computers... - Started by: Defunct Account
Art programs for computers...
Posted: 02 Feb 2008, 02:16 PM

Does anyone know of any good art programs for computers? I have lots of fun on the Side7 Oekaki boards, but I'm on dialup, and its a pain to go online every time I get an artistic inkling involving a mouse. Any ideas on where I can find some? Prices?

Thanks, y'all. =)

Posted: 02 Feb 2008, 11:35 PM

Try the GIMP. It's a free open-source art program on a par with Photoshop.

Posted: 03 Feb 2008, 03:25 AM

Sweet, thanks! =)

Posted: 10 Feb 2008, 09:27 PM

Open Canvas is a nice program for sketching in. The first version (which I like best personally) is free. Just google it and you're bound to find a ton of places to DL it from :). It's such a small program that being on dial up shouldn't make downloading problematic.

If you want to spend a little money there's always Adobe Photoshop and Corel Painter (that's what I use :D). I'd check ebay and such for bargains since they're a bit pricey new.

Posted: 16 Mar 2008, 12:22 AM

Alright, I'm working on downloading the GIMP: dialup does not good downloading time make. But it's comin anyways. XD

And yeah, once I rack up some spare dough, I'm going to invest in photoshop. Thanks for the tips, y'all! =)

Posted: 17 Mar 2008, 01:27 PM
AuntieWitch:
Alright, I'm working on downloading the GIMP: dialup does not good downloading time make. But it's comin anyways. XD

And yeah, once I rack up some spare dough, I'm going to invest in photoshop. Thanks for the tips, y'all! =)

Keep in mind that Photoshop isn't the end-all, be-all of art programs out there. I use it, and I love it, but I also freelance graphical work, and do graphical work at my day job.

But, it's also very expensive, and designed with the professional in mind. It's primary purpose is also just what its name implies: manipulating photos, although it does a bang-up job in other graphical tasks.

But, there are less expensive alternatives. For example, Corel Painter is FANTASTIC for illustrative artwork. It does its best to mimic the results of traditional media, too, and excels at it.

-- BK

Posted: 19 Mar 2008, 02:31 AM

There's a version of the GIMP out now with an interface that mimics the look and feel of Photoshop. http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,65457-page,1-c,images/description.html

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-7 of 7