Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-7 of 7
DevBlog v4.0 - An Early Launch? - Started by: BadKarma
DevBlog v4.0 - An Early Launch?
Posted: 09 Sep 2008, 03:54 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 09 Sep 2008, 03:57 PM.

So, I've been contemplating a plan of action. v4.0's development has taken a very long time, much longer than ever anticipated. As a result, I'm sure some people might think it's never coming out. Well, it is. And it will be worth it. How it comes out, though, is what's being considered right now.

There are two ways this can happen:

1. We launch when everything is 100% complete. This will take a significant amount of time, as there is still a lot to complete. However, once the global portions of the code are complete, the remaining work will be relatively quick.
  2. We launch when v4.0 is equivalent to the current v3.x site in terms of features and capabilities, and then do periodic update releases to add in all of the additional features. This means a release within a month or two, and then a new update every couple of months. This won't launch the site with any wiz-bang new features, but will get the new site out there and in operation, while allowing me to work on the new features under less pressure.

I have leanings and reasons for both arguments. However, I'm interested in your opinions on this topic. What would your preference be?

-- BK

Posted: 10 Sep 2008, 09:41 AM

Personally I would prefer the second choice. Its nice to see ome new stuff around :)

Posted: 10 Sep 2008, 09:52 AM
posesimo:
Personally I would prefer the second choice. Its nice to see ome new stuff around :)

Noted. :)

I'm getting feedback from multiple sources, so we'll soon know which course I'm going to take.

-- BK

Posted: 11 Sep 2008, 08:57 AM

alright great to hear updates on how the new site's going.
Cmon guys I know youre out there. Post your opinions.

Posted: 11 Sep 2008, 05:48 PM

I would also prefer the second choice.

Posted: 12 Sep 2008, 01:26 AM

I think Option Two is better.

Firstly, it eases the pressure on you. While some pressure is good to keep you working on schedule, too much pressure isn't a good thing.

Secondly, you do need to prove that you have a working product and not vaporware. If you wait until v4.0 is 100% completed, you might never get it up and running (there's always that one more feature you want to squeeze in or that one little tweak that you just have to make). If you get an early version of v4.0 up and then get abducted by space alien Elvis impersonators from Atlantis the next day, at least you will have proved that v4.0 is viable and ready for work. Unlike an MMOG, we don't have to redownload the entire software, just learn where all the bells and whistles work.

RE: DevBlog v4.0 - An Early Launch?
Posted: 12 Sep 2008, 11:46 AM
Roadstripe:
I think Option Two is better.

Firstly, it eases the pressure on you. While some pressure is good to keep you working on schedule, too much pressure isn't a good thing.

Secondly, you do need to prove that you have a working product and not vaporware. If you wait until v4.0 is 100% completed, you might never get it up and running (there's always that one more feature you want to squeeze in or that one little tweak that you just have to make). If you get an early version of v4.0 up and then get abducted by space alien Elvis impersonators from Atlantis the next day, at least you will have proved that v4.0 is viable and ready for work. Unlike an MMOG, we don't have to redownload the entire software, just learn where all the bells and whistles work.

I agree with Roadstripe with option two.
Option one would really be nice to see, but on the other hand one should not put them self under pressure over putting a new product out there. I say do what you think is best for all, and then do it and see what happens from there. Just be sure the new version is stable enough to do which ever option you plan to do. Good Luck! :)

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-7 of 7