Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-4 of 4
State of the Site Report - Started by: BadKarma
State of the Site Report
Posted: 16 Aug 2012, 11:55 AM

Side 7 has been very quiet lately, both from its user-base and its management. I've been exceptionally busy, and unfortunately Side 7 has been pushed to the wayside as a result. Family, full-time work, and almost full-time school has dominated my time, and I have not been able to find the time to dedicate to Side 7. My numerous calls for anyone who knows Perl programming and is willing to help out on the site have met with deafening silence. Side 7 remains a one-man show.

Fortunately, however, I am not closing the site. Instead, I've been learning new technologies and programming languages. I've been working on a complete redesign of the site from the ground up, using a whole new programming language and framework. I will be working with someone who does UI design and development to help create a more modern and streamlined interface to the site.

Using the new framework and programming language, development overall should be quicker and easier to modify, and the resulting code should be more robust, easier to manage, and faster.
When the site is complete, all current accounts will be migrated, and all currently uploaded assets, comments, etc. will be maintained and carried over. I will be restructuring how accounts work; there will continue to be free accounts, but the site will be moving to a micro-transactions model (similar to how some free-to-play MMOs operate, such as "Dungeons and Dragons Online" or "Star Trek Online").

I will also be adding a tonne of new features:

• Removal of most account upload limits
  • New upload types (music, prose, potentially videos)
  • Social-media styled features
  • Truly implemented friends groups
  • Interest groups (Want to start a group about your favorite anime?)
  • Better implementation and use for account credits (this has been a long-time coming)
  • Brand new server hardware (it's here and in the middle of being configured)
  • And a lot more.

This is no small task, and I refuse to put a time limit or deadline on it. I currently am not working full-time, but I am seeking freelance work to bring in money. Paying my bills (including the co-location and domain registration bills for Side 7) comes first, unfortunately. So, work will be done as I have the time to do it.

What this means is that my ability to get to things such as e-mails to the Admin account, and basic user account requests, is limited and will be slow. It also means that I won't be fixing anything short of a major security issue on the current site. If I'm going to get the new Side 7 done and launched, I need to focus on that.

We will have open Beta Testing of the new site, as well as early-adopter programs that will give your account bonuses. More details on that as things progress, but expect a major revival effort. As much as this is an effort to make the site more appealing to existing members, this is an even larger effort to garner interest from a new generation of members.

We hope that you will stick with Side 7 through this, and give the new site a try when it's done or in Beta. And, as always, if there is anything you think I can do that would improve things, let me know. I can be reached via e-mail (badkarma [at] side7 [dot] com), or AIM (armitige3). E-mails to the webmaster or admin accounts are currently taking a lower priority.

Posted: 17 Aug 2012, 01:26 AM

good to hear news from you BK
I have been on this website for a long time and I would hate to see it close (I refuse to believe that the site's best days are in the past-oh I remember all those fun forum games!)
I would have helped if I knew programming but unfortunately I don't :(

Posted: 17 Aug 2012, 09:09 AM

Thanks! I, too, believe there are still more good days ahead. :) We will see them again.

Chanel A9869 Pink Studs Details Long Bi-Fold Wallet - $106.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
Posted: 18 Oct 2012, 07:24 AM
This post has been deleted.
Fancy Intense Blue diamond ring in platinum with white diamonds. - $550.00 : replica tiffany, replicatiffanystores.com
Rho AR Bottom Men's - Revised - $142.00 : Arcteryx, outdooroutletco.com
Jewelry, Necklaces & Pendants, DesignersCollections Return to Tiffanyâ„¢
Jewelry, Solitaire Jewelry, DesignersCollections Elsa Peretti®
Posted: 18 Oct 2012, 07:25 AM
Women North Face Denali Scarf Gray / Green - $96.00 : the north face, outdoorthenorthface.com
Micon Jacket Men's - $441.00 : Arcteryx, outdooroutletco.com
Louis Vuitton belts : Replica Designer Handbags Store, Replica Designer Handbags Store
Alpha FL Jacket Women's - $276.00 : Arcteryx, outdooroutletco.com
Posted: 15 Jan 2013, 09:24 PM

BadKarma - The new features all sound like a great idea. I look forward to seeing the new site, but take your time. I understand that your busy and Side7 is still an awesome website to me. =)

Posesimo - I don't want to believe that the good Side 7 days are over either. I disappeared from the website and missed it greatly. There isn't an art community like Side 7. I especially have fond memories of the form games. Fun times! =D

I wish I could help out with the website myself. I'm not skilled at programing, but I can spread the word of the sites existence by plugging it on social network sites.

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-4 of 4