Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-10 of 10
Toning your labels! - Started by: BadKarma
Toning your labels!
Posted: 02 Oct 2006, 03:59 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 02 Oct 2006, 03:59 PM.

Weekly Challenge - 01 October - 07 October

This week's challenge is an exercise in tone values.

The Challenge:
Create a product label or image of a packaging box using only one colour. The colour doesn't matter, as it's just your colour of choice, however, the colour must be used creatively to give the impression of multiple colours. Hatching, cross-hatching, stippling, and shading may be used to convey these tones.

Research & Reference:
You may re-create an existing product label or packaging for this exercise. For research and examples, take a look at woodcut prints, or the portraits on most paper currency.

Due Date:
All submissions must be posted to this thread by midnight, Saturday, 07 October. Comments and critiques are invited and encouraged at any point during the challenge.

Good luck!

-- BK

RE: toning your labels!
Posted: 07 Oct 2006, 07:42 AM

I'm afraid I don't have time to do this challenge:( going on a holiday without a computer. Darn.

Posted: 07 Oct 2006, 05:09 PM
This post has been edited 2 times. Last edit on 07 Oct 2006, 10:56 PM.

Illustration from the Deers and Doebuck Comprehensive Catalogue of Oddities and Endities "Specialty Foods" AKA "Culinary Assaults" Section:

"Only Deers and Doebuck has the guts to offer Bernie's Peppers! Suffer from a selection of peppers from across the globe. Bernie's is the only supplier of the ultra-hot Obliterati JalapeƱos and the ever-infamous Solar Doom Peppers. Order now!"

While not the first illustration I've ever made for my Deers and Doebuck catalog, this is probably by far the best and most authentic-looking.

I can see now that what was meant to be the far ear needs work. It looks too easily mistaken for a neck. However, if it's seen as the neck, the head then needs a far ear drawn in. Also, there's too much white space on the tongue and, arguably, the roof of the mouth. Live and learn.
On the other hand, I like how three-dimensional the mouth looks.

Posted: 07 Oct 2006, 11:44 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 08 Oct 2006, 06:34 AM.

A little late but here we go ^^;

http://www.side7.com/cgi-bin/S7SDB/Display.pl?act=image&iid=325376

PS. I ran out of time, so this is only halfway done, heh. I was going to go back in and make the various values with hatching (using that darkest brown color), and I still might. Just wanted to have something done by the end of the week.

Posted: 08 Oct 2006, 06:07 PM

Nice. It almost looks like you swiped a real label for this. :p

Posted: 09 Oct 2006, 06:59 AM
Roadstripe:
Illustration from the Deers and Doebuck Comprehensive Catalogue of Oddities and Endities "Specialty Foods" AKA "Culinary Assaults" Section:

"Only Deers and Doebuck has the guts to offer Bernie's Peppers! Suffer from a selection of peppers from across the globe. Bernie's is the only supplier of the ultra-hot Obliterati JalapeƱos and the ever-infamous Solar Doom Peppers. Order now!"

While not the first illustration I've ever made for my Deers and Doebuck catalog, this is probably by far the best and most authentic-looking.

I can see now that what was meant to be the far ear needs work. It looks too easily mistaken for a neck. However, if it's seen as the neck, the head then needs a far ear drawn in. Also, there's too much white space on the tongue and, arguably, the roof of the mouth. Live and learn.
On the other hand, I like how three-dimensional the mouth looks.

hehee taht's pretty cool
I like the illustartion. Its a mouse right?
I would have commented on the picture it self... but for some reason my compuer refuses to submit comments for the past day...

Posted: 09 Oct 2006, 06:59 AM
FeralGrinn:
A little late but here we go ^^;

[http://www.side7.com/cgi-bin/S7SDB/Display.pl?act=image&iid=325376](http://www.side7.com/cgi-bin/S7SDB/Display.pl?act=image&iid=325376)

PS. I ran out of time, so this is only halfway done, heh. I was going to go back in and make the various values with hatching (using that darkest brown color), and I still might. Just wanted to have something done by the end of the week.

veeeery nice
I like the colors you choose, Ithink it suits well for a beer ;)

Posted: 09 Oct 2006, 11:15 PM

It's a mouse or other small rodent. I didn't have an exact species in mind when I drew it.

Posted: 10 Oct 2006, 10:16 AM
Roadstripe:
It's a mouse or other small rodent. I didn't have an exact species in mind when I drew it.

mouse then :D Thats what it reminds me

Posted: 12 Oct 2006, 12:09 AM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 12 Oct 2006, 12:12 AM.

Thanks, Don :)

Aaand nope didn't swipe anything, lol. The king salmon thing is a logo I use for myself sometimes, and everything else is the magic of fonts and geometric shapes.

edit-- I also have a few graphic design classes under my belt (I'm an illustration major so only a few xD), so I knew a little about what I was doing before I started.

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-10 of 10