Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-2 of 2
DevBlog - Side 7 v4 (25 Sep 2007) - I love revelations... - Started by: BadKarma
DevBlog - Side 7 v4 (25 Sep 2007) - I love revelations...
Posted: 25 Sep 2007, 10:52 AM

So, last night I'm finishing up the new Member Search engine for v4 (which is done, and kicks major ass). Using the Image Search engine as reference, so as to minimize my work and finish the engine more quickly, I notice some code that made me go, "Uh... what the hell... ?"

I must have been exhausted when I wrote a particular part of the Image Search engine. A very crucial part of the Image Search engine, I might add. I had written code that, while functional, was COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY STUPID! I was performing a very processor-intensive function TWICE when both result values were returned to me in one execution.

A small tweak later, and I dropped the Search Engine time from about 0.6 seconds, to about 0.03 seconds.

Oy.

-- BK

Posted: 26 Sep 2007, 12:34 AM

Thank goodness for triple checks. :P Quite the adventure, isn't it? In any case, it's always good to catch these problems early on, before you release them to the world. Now, if only Microsoft allowed its programmers to do the same...:P

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-2 of 2