Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-2 of 2
Sealing clay - Started by: Jinx
Sealing clay
Posted: 16 Mar 2008, 06:03 PM

I know clay isn't necessarily the preferred medium of many or most of the artists here, but I'm hoping someone can answer a question for me, anyway.

I've made a couple small sculptures in polymer clay that I would like to mold and cast duplicates. The rubber molding compound I have recommends that I apply a resin spray to clay or otherwise porous pieces before making molds. The spray is cheap enough, but I'd have to order it, and I'd sooner not go to the trouble if there's an alternative or if it's really necessary.

So, I wanted to ask if anyone could tell me how important the spray is to maintaining the original for the sake of molding, or if I could do something else such as painting it. Even if molding it strips the paint or whatever, I'm not concerned, I just want to get a good mold and preferably not destroy the original. I suppose I could also make a mold using more clay, but we picked up this rubber mold stuff and it sounds pretty good.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted: 17 Mar 2008, 01:24 PM

I've not done molding (yet), but from my research, there has been a number of different methods. One good place to look for information is to go to:

http://www.instructables.com

and search for mold-making or casting or something like that. There are tonnes of articles and how-tos on the stuff. (Love that site, BTW.)

Someone may have an alternate method, other than the spray.

-- BK

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-2 of 2