Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-9 of 9
Spoiler Tags and Third Party Dark Mode - Started by: Cynicallia
Spoiler Tags and Third Party Dark Mode
Posted: 05 Jun 2024, 01:04 AM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 05 Jun 2024, 01:07 AM.

Not really a bug, but a situation. I've had a similar situation on other sites and found a fairly reliable solution for it, but I don't know if it will work here.

On desktop, I use Brave Browser with a dark mode extension called Dark Reader. It tweaks site themes to reduce brightness, but it can be a little creative at times. For example, it might use odd colors like a dark olive green to replace default, uncolored text.

I was experimenting with the Spoilers tag here on Side7 last night to see if it worked on profile info when I noticed the not-bug. Since a spoiler tag changes the highlight color to obscure the text it covers, it seems like my extension reads the highlight differently than it reads normal text. The concealed text is still visible.

I had to find a way to solve this on Toyhou.se since they took their Spoiler tags support away from non-premium accounts. What I do there is to actively change the default text color to match the highlight color, so that my extension reads them as the same color and tweaks them consistently. Instead of "default uncolored text which shows up as black because the site theme says that it's black" against a black highlight, I would actively set that text to "#000000" with a "#000000" highlight.

I'm not sure if what I'm saying is making sense, and I'm not at my computer right now so I can't take screenshots. It isn't really a bug or a problem, at least not for me; it's just a data point. But, if someone spoiler-tags something very disturbing, like the graphic details of a pet lost to a highway tragedy, and someone who is sensitive to such things is using a similar theme adjuster as I do, they might read something that they weren't prepared for.

RE: Spoiler Tags and Third Party Dark Mode
Posted: 05 Jun 2024, 01:35 AM

Thanks for bringing this up. I'll see what I can do to remedy this issue.

-- BK

Posted: 05 Jun 2024, 01:46 AM

Try it now.

-- BK

Posted: 05 Jun 2024, 01:56 AM

Let me go toss some coal in my laptop real quick.. hang tight.

Posted: 05 Jun 2024, 02:07 AM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 05 Jun 2024, 02:13 AM.

That actually made it worse. The highlight color is now nearly invisible, where before, it was more of a light grey and closer to the (reversed, white) text my extension creates. 

Dark Reader extension turned off:

Dark Reader extension turned on:

Posted: 05 Jun 2024, 02:13 AM

That is odd. I have explicitly set the background color and text color to the same color. I'll make a minor adjustment to lighten up the highlight gray some, but that extension should see that the text and the background are the same color, unless hovered over. I don't know why it's having that reaction.

-- BK

Posted: 05 Jun 2024, 02:28 AM

That change makes it look like this, without hovering over or clicking to reveal the text:

That's an improvement, because now the highlight is easier to spot. If I needed to, I could just unfocus my vision and skip past a spoiler'd section like that. (When I hover over, the concealed text becomes the same white as the main text. My screenshot tool negates my cursor so I can't show it, but it's not complicated so it doesn't really need to be shown.)

Posted: 05 Jun 2024, 02:33 AM

This is starting to look like a bug/behavior in the extension that needs to be fixed. I don't see why it should be making decisions to change text color like that if it's set to the same color as the background. Maybe contact the developer of the extension and point out these issues and see what they say?

-- BK

Posted: 05 Jun 2024, 02:40 AM

Thanks for taking the time to try to sort it out. I'll see about nudging the devs, yeah. If it's only a me thing, there is no problem. If anyone else is in a similar situation with different circumstances, then it would be worth revisiting, but otherwise, this isn't really a bug or anything worth losing sleep over.

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-9 of 9