Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-7 of 7
When hyperlinking to other Side 7 threads, the word "forum" in the base URL disappears after a day, and the link becomes invalid - Started by: BatmanWilliams
When hyperlinking to other Side 7 threads, the word "forum" in the base URL disappears after a day, and the link becomes invalid
Posted: 09 Jul 2024, 04:40 PM

Didn't know if it was a bug or not, but putting it here just in case.

RE: When hyperlinking to other Side 7 threads, the word
Posted: 09 Jul 2024, 07:08 PM

That's strange, especially considering that the links are recorded in the database as part of the post text, and they aren't edited or changed in any way. I'll do some checking.

Can you point me to an example?

-- BK

Posted: 09 Jul 2024, 08:33 PM

I noticed that since the v5.23 text editor update, internal links will truncate with the ../ shorthand in place of the full URL. On the rest of the site this works fine, but for some reason forum posts parse it too short, skipping the /thread/ path and thus resolving to the wrong destination. 

Posted: 09 Jul 2024, 09:27 PM

Thorvald:

I noticed that since the v5.23 text editor update, internal links will truncate with the ../ shorthand in place of the full URL. On the rest of the site this works fine, but for some reason forum posts parse it too short, skipping the /thread/ path and thus resolving to the wrong destination. 

Well, crap.

-- BK

Posted: 09 Jul 2024, 10:30 PM

I did a test with a recent post and I think I figured out where it's screwing up: the backtrack is based on the URL in the preview, which is higher than when the post goes live. So "../../123" is accurate to "forum/thread/123" when tracing back from the preview URL, but ends up a step too far in the published URL.

The good news is, it only truncates the initial link, so it's fixable on the user-end by editing to "../123". The link won't work in the preview, but will be accurate in the published post.

I don't know if this is something that can be configured more precisely; if the full address is saved in the database anyway, it can probably be disabled.

Posted: 10 Jul 2024, 05:42 PM
This post has been edited 2 times. Last edit on 10 Jul 2024, 05:44 PM.

BadKarma:

That's strange, especially considering that the links are recorded in the database as part of the post text, and they aren't edited or changed in any way. I'll do some checking.

Can you point me to an example?

-- BK

Thorvald gave you the right gist, but I'll give an example anyways.

This is a hyperlink to a thread.

^ That hyperlink might work for a while, but come back in 24 hours and you'll see it revert to an invalid URL.

Edit: Never mind, didn't even need to wait the 24 hours. The intended location was side7.com/forums/thread/841

Posted: 10 Jul 2024, 07:20 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 10 Jul 2024, 07:21 PM.

Thanks for the example @BatmanWilliams, and for the insights @Thorvald . I'll see what I can do to fix this.

-- BK

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-7 of 7