Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-19 of 19
Has anyone else experienced problems with the bell notifications? - Started by: BronzeHeart92
Has anyone else experienced problems with the bell notifications?
Posted: 31 Oct 2022, 06:24 PM

Obviously I have and it's very annoying. Like, you could click on the message and it takes you to the relevant artwork or something but for some reason you'll get logged out and withour erasing the notification in question. This is definitely something you should take a fix at some point.

RE: Has anyone else experienced problems with the bell notifications?
Posted: 31 Oct 2022, 10:12 PM

Same, sometimes they disappear after viewing, sometimes they stay, it's kinda random.

Posted: 01 Nov 2022, 12:39 PM
BronzeHeart92:
Obviously I have and it's very annoying. Like, you could click on the message and it takes you to the relevant artwork or something but for some reason you'll get logged out and withour erasing the notification in question. This is definitely something you should take a fix at some point.

What URL are you using when you come to the site?

-- BK

Posted: 01 Nov 2022, 12:40 PM
EyeballEarth:
Same, sometimes they disappear after viewing, sometimes they stay, it's kinda random.

Huh. I've not seen that happen before, but I will look into that.

-- BK

Posted: 01 Nov 2022, 03:21 PM

I can't really see a pattern, sometimes when I click notifications and view what they're about like eg a comment on an upload it disappears, sometimes not. I have a feeling that older notiofications are more likely to disappear when I view them but I'm not 100% sure.

Posted: 02 Nov 2022, 01:45 AM
EyeballEarth:
I can't really see a pattern, sometimes when I click notifications and view what they're about like eg a comment on an upload it disappears, sometimes not. I have a feeling that older notiofications are more likely to disappear when I view them but I'm not 100% sure.

Okay. I'll keep an eye out for that kind of behavior while I'm testing. I'm making some changes to the notifications system to fix @BronzeHeart92 's reported bug.

Posted: 02 Nov 2022, 10:24 AM

The only problem I've had with notifications is that sometimes they don't clear. I can click on one and it will still remain showing as new in the list. Usually all I then have to do is click it a few times and it eventually clears.

Posted: 02 Nov 2022, 06:38 PM
EyeballEarth:

I think that I found the issue, and have corrected it. It's hard to test, so we'll have to see once it goes live. Either way, it does fix a similar bug in the notifications that had a link inside of a link, particularly on notifications about uploads being favorited, that was preventing the notification link click to be recognized and wasn't clearing the notification as a result. That problem has been resolved, and may be related to what you're experiencing.

-- BK

Posted: 11 Nov 2022, 12:01 AM

It's still happening here, maybe it's something that happens to newer accounts only? I tried clearing cookies and cache too, didn't seem to help either. I have no real idea what causes it, it played around with things a while but I can't see a pattern to it really.

Posted: 11 Nov 2022, 02:02 AM
EyeballEarth:
It's still happening here, maybe it's something that happens to newer accounts only? I tried clearing cookies and cache too, didn't seem to help either. I have no real idea what causes it, it played around with things a while but I can't see a pattern to it really.

sigh

I'll do more testing and see if I can replicate the issue you're having. Is it with one particular notification message, or with any message?

-- BK

Posted: 11 Nov 2022, 02:19 AM

I have noticed that control-clicking a notification to open it in a new window is more likely to clear the notification. I have also noticed that a notification will sometimes open up the PM inbox rather than, say, a work page or forum post (although it assuredly opens up the inbox when it is a notification for a PM). I generally treat this as a pesky inconsistency, but I figure you could use whatever information you can, BK.

Posted: 11 Nov 2022, 02:39 AM
fragmented_imagination:
I have noticed that control-clicking a notification to open it in a new window is more likely to clear the notification. I have also noticed that a notification will sometimes open up the PM inbox rather than, say, a work page or forum post (although it assuredly opens up the inbox when it is a notification for a PM). I generally treat this as a pesky inconsistency, but I figure you could use whatever information you can, BK.

Most appreciated. Thank you.

-- BK

Posted: 11 Nov 2022, 05:35 PM

This is a UI gripe rather than an issue with the Bell itself, but when I pulled the drop-down for my 28 notifications, the window anchored to the top of the page instead of the header, so I had to scroll all the way back up to be able to actually see anything. (Curiously, now that it's empty it appears to be working as intended.)

fragmented_imagination:

THANK you! I hadn't been able to clear the bell since I joined and the messages were starting to pile up. :P

Posted: 11 Nov 2022, 07:07 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 11 Nov 2022, 07:10 PM.

And yet, I'm still unable to replicate this problem. But, still investigating it. This issue has been moved to the top of my priority list.

What browser and OS is everyone using? Is this an issue you're seeing on desktop or mobile?

-- BK

Posted: 11 Nov 2022, 07:48 PM
Thorvald:
This is a UI gripe rather than an issue with the Bell itself, but when I pulled the drop-down for my 28 notifications, the window anchored to the top of the page instead of the header, so I had to scroll all the way back up to be able to actually *see* anything. (Curiously, now that it's empty it appears to be working as intended.)

I'm seeing this issue, too. Unfortunately, it's also happening randomly. I'm going to have to re-do how the notifications panel renders to fix this one. Expect an update on this issue soon.

-- BK

Posted: 11 Nov 2022, 08:12 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 11 Nov 2022, 08:20 PM.
BadKarma:
What browser and OS is everyone using? Is this an issue you're seeing on desktop or mobile?

Firefox on Windows 10. Old-school, I know...

Thorvald:
THANK you! I hadn't been able to clear the bell since I joined and the messages were starting to pile up. :P

Oh, I'm glad I could help! :D

Posted: 11 Nov 2022, 09:15 PM
fragmented_imagination:
BadKarma:

Firefox on Windows 10.

Ditto; desktop.

Posted: 11 Nov 2022, 09:19 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 11 Nov 2022, 09:20 PM.

👍 Thank you. 👍

For the record, the entirety of this site is scratch-built by me, and is a one-person production. So, I welcome when bugs and problems are pointed out; I can only catch so many on my own.

-- BK

Posted: 28 Nov 2022, 09:49 PM
Thorvald:
fragmented_imagination:
BadKarma:

Firefox on Windows 10.

Ditto; desktop.

Firefox user over here too!

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-19 of 19