Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-5 of 5
Is it accetable to gate out content based on IPv6 of all things? - Started by: BronzeHeart92
Is it accetable to gate out content based on IPv6 of all things?
Posted: 30 Dec 2022, 07:50 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 30 Dec 2022, 07:51 PM.

I mean, net is supposed to be open on the principle and while this sort of 'gatekeeping' is thankfully nearly nonexistent, it can be quite a nasty surprise whenever you do encounter such 'gatekeeping'. Off from the top of my head, the only instance of such I have personally encountered happens to be on a 'chan of all things.

RE: Is it accetable to gate out content based on IPv6 of all things?
Posted: 30 Dec 2022, 10:19 PM

Whuddayas talkin about?

Whut is IPv6?

Posted: 30 Dec 2022, 11:00 PM
The-Wizard-of-Zaar:
Whut is IPv6?

IPv6 is the current version of Internet communications protocol. If I understand the OP correctly, they're using IPv4, which was the standard at the time the Web went mainstream, but its 32-bit architecture means it's almost out of unique addresses.

The only reason I can imagine needing IPv4 is if your computer's a relic.

Posted: 31 Dec 2022, 08:44 AM
Thorvald:
The-Wizard-of-Zaar:
Whut is IPv6?

IPv6 is the [current version](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6) of Internet communications protocol. If I understand the OP correctly, they're using [IPv4](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Protocol_version_4), which was the standard at the time the Web went mainstream, but its 32-bit architecture means it's almost out of unique addresses.

The only reason I can imagine needing IPv4 is if your computer's a relic.

And so this means we will be friends in the afterlife?

Posted: 31 Dec 2022, 03:02 PM
BronzeHeart92:
I mean, net is supposed to be open on the principle and while this sort of 'gatekeeping' is thankfully nearly nonexistent, it can be quite a nasty surprise whenever you do encounter such 'gatekeeping'. Off from the top of my head, the only instance of such I have personally encountered happens to be on a 'chan of all things.

It's still the practice to support both IPv4 and IPv6. Some people move on without continuing support for IPv4, I suppose. I don't know that it's specifically gatekeeping on purpose, even though it acts that way.

-- BK

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-5 of 5