Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-4 of 4
Animated *.gif thumbnails look like color splotches - Started by: shadowkyogre
Animated *.gif thumbnails look like color splotches
Posted: 02 Dec 2023, 06:14 PM

Hi everyone!

Almost done backing up my gallery, but, I noticed a bug when it comes to *.gif animations.

https://www.side7.com/content/VXrABPq691 - the thumbnail for this submission looks like a bunch of color splotches when viewed from the gallery view.

https://www.side7.com/content/R19oxb7BM2 - see this submission to see the submission thumbnail be splotches everywhere

Has anyone else encountered this with their *.gif files?

RE: Animated *.gif thumbnails look like color splotches
Posted: 02 Dec 2023, 08:34 PM

This is an artifact of how the .gif files were saved. There are two ways an animated .gif is saved: the entirety of every frame saved, or just the part of the frame that changes is saved. If it's the latter, then thumbnailing it makes each frame the same size, and you get what it looks like. When a .gif is saved with each frame being the complete image, not just the part that changes, it thumbnails fine. This is an issue that I'm trying to work around.
-- BK

Posted: 02 Dec 2023, 09:14 PM

Ah, that makes sense. For the *.gif thumbnails that are wigging out, they do use partial frame changes. I'll keep that in mind for any future animations I post onto Side7.

Posted: 02 Dec 2023, 10:51 PM
BadKarma:
This is an artifact of how the .gif files were saved. There are two ways an animated .gif is saved: the entirety of every frame saved, or just the part of the frame that changes is saved. If it's the latter, then thumbnailing it makes each frame the same size, and you get what it looks like. When a .gif is saved with each frame being the complete image, not just the part that changes, it thumbnails fine. This is an issue that I'm trying to work around.
-- BK

For reference, in GIMP, the formats are named "combine" (cumulative changes) and "replace" (full frame for each layer). The former reduces file size, while the latter is more stable (as seen here).

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-4 of 4