Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-4 of 4
In the context of art, does deception hold the same amount of offense as theft? - Started by: BatmanWilliams
In the context of art, does deception hold the same amount of offense as theft?
Posted: 20 Jul 2024, 02:51 PM

I've been thinking about this for a while because I often see the two interchange or one substitute the other when someone who wants to credit themselves with more than they can get themselves to put in. The full question goes like this.

Suppose you have an art thief. How does art theft work? It works by taking hold of a work of art and claiming it as your own. That's what it means, you're "stealing their work", hence the theft in art theft. There are many people who, while wandering a place, came across a work of art and thought "say, that looks familiar". That's an art thief. They snagged the picture itself and put it among their gallery.

Now suppose you have someone else. This person won't go into your territory, snag an art work, and display it in the location of their gallery, but they'll go around saying to people "that artwork is of my doing, that one right there, did ya know that". In doing this, they will be taking credit from a distance, despite never having touched the artwork. Is this, however, deception crossing over into the exigence of theft, or is it just its own thing, crying wolf by another angle?

If you were running your own art site (or if you already do), how would you categorize this in the system of enforcement?

RE: In the context of art, does deception hold the same amount of offense as theft?
Posted: 20 Jul 2024, 04:33 PM

I would classify that as fraud, and potentially identity theft depending upon how far they go. I would treat that with the same severity as I would art theft.

-- BK

RE: In the context of art, does deception hold the same amount of offense as theft?
Posted: 21 Jul 2024, 07:40 PM

BadKarma:

I would classify that as fraud, and potentially identity theft depending upon how far they go.

Agreed, but it raises the question of why someone would do this in the first place. Is this a common occurrence? Because I can see various ways such a claim can not only fail in its attempt at deception, but have no purpose even if it has a chance of success. Would punishing such behavior even be appropriate?

Posted: 21 Jul 2024, 10:58 PM

Casey Niccoli, anyone?
CW: Sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll.

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-4 of 4