Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-24 of 24
Forum Fixes - Started by: Thorvald
Forum Fixes
Posted: 23 Apr 2023, 10:14 PM

This is part bug report, part priority feature request.

The invisible OP bug seems to still be lurking in the shadows: this thread currently reads blank, and is not listed in the subforum even though it's listed on the main forum page.

I also ran into a glitch where my post in this thread is likewise invisible. It displays on the front page, and you can see the thread has three numbered posts, but the reply itself is absent.

The errors may be related to editing a post after preview: my post above was tweaked, while my two other forum posts today were not revised before final submission; it may also be a result of misclicking 'Edit' on the post itself rather than 'Edit' on the left-hand side: the latter links to '/reedit', but the former links to '/edit'. (I'm wondering if forum replies can be brought in line with the comment boxes elsewhere, where the full editor is embedded in the page, rather than needing this intermediary step.)

The Request

Since site activity has spiked, I'll push a request I've been sitting on for a while: forum thread notifications. Currently you're only notified if a thread you've posted/replied to has updated if you're tagged in the text, meaning I have to comb the board manually if the 'Latest Active' widget has updated all five slots. Before April, this wasn't a big deal since it was fairly low activity, but with a specific eye to the new users who may not even be aware they're missing updates, I believe implementing some sort of thread subscription system a priority feature.

RE: Forum Fixes
Posted: 24 Apr 2023, 12:11 AM

bump

Posted: 24 Apr 2023, 02:04 AM

I am posting this to acknowledge your post and say that I've read it. I just spend the last 10 hours on the road after working audio tech for four days at an event and am exhausted; I will post a more cohesive reply in the morning after some sleep.

I am dousing some fires before I go to bed. Such as, your posts have now been made visible. I think you're on to something with your investigation.

-- BK

Posted: 25 Apr 2023, 02:44 AM
Thorvald:
##### The Request
Since site activity has spiked, I'll push a request I've been sitting on for a while: forum thread notifications. Currently you're only notified if a thread you've posted/replied to has updated if you're tagged in the text, meaning I have to comb the board manually if the 'Latest Active' widget has updated all five slots. Before April, this wasn't a big deal since it was fairly low activity, but with a specific eye to the new users who may not even be aware they're missing updates, I believe implementing some sort of thread subscription system a priority feature.

I agree with this. But, I need to plan it carefully. I don't want to rush a patch with this feature only half-baked.
-- BK

Posted: 25 Apr 2023, 05:10 PM

No worries. I'm a middling coder at best, but if I've learned anything in modding/wiki templates, getting a stable framework in place saves a lot of time and effort down the line. :P

Posted: 25 Apr 2023, 06:57 PM

Totally agree.
-- BK

Posted: 05 May 2023, 06:16 PM

Found another ghost:

Posted: 05 May 2023, 06:49 PM

The same thing seems to be happening to me. Every time I try to post a thread on a forum, its invisible.
Here's another post that doesn't seem to make it in the forum thread :( Not sure what I'm doing wrong, or if there's a glitch.

https://www.side7.com/forums/thread/719/0#6365

Posted: 05 May 2023, 07:00 PM

The missing ones should be fixed now.

-- BK

Posted: 29 May 2023, 07:44 PM

Starting a custom URL link with a solitary 'I' breaks the formatting in forum posts: it's parsed as the BBCode for italics, regardless of how much text is actually in the brackets:

[ㅤI think ...]ㅤ(example.com) → (example.com) ,

whereas [Ithink ... ]ㅤ(example.com) renders normally.

Posted: 29 May 2023, 10:04 PM

WTF?

Posted: 28 Jul 2023, 06:34 PM

Another phantom thread. Possibly others on the board as I thought I saw a headline post dated July 26 a day or two previous.

Posted: 28 Jul 2023, 08:00 PM

Ugh. Fixing them. People, please publish your forum posts.
-- BK

Posted: 05 Aug 2023, 07:52 PM

sigh Fixed. Again.

Posted: 11 Aug 2023, 06:07 PM
Thorvald:
Starting a custom URL link with a solitary 'I' breaks the formatting in forum posts: it's parsed as the BBCode for italics, regardless of how much text is actually in the brackets:

[ㅤI think ...]ㅤ(example.com) → *(example.com)* ,

whereas [Ithink ... ]ㅤ(example.com) renders normally.

Update: The issue seems to be brackets parsing prematurely if the first word matches a syntax tag. Trying to use [
Code of Conduct]
(https://www.side7.com/rules) for a URL link parsed as

Code:

(https://www.side7.com/rules)

Posted: 11 Aug 2023, 07:51 PM

More and more I'm thinking that integrating Markdown was a mistake, and that I should gut it from the system and stick with HTML.

sigh

-- BK

Posted: 18 Aug 2023, 04:55 PM

At this point we might want a dedicated sticky thread. :X

Posted: 18 Aug 2023, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the head's up.
-- BK

Posted: 25 Aug 2023, 05:20 PM

And now for something completely different:

It seems I've been randomly unsubbed from some forum threads. Originally I thought it was due to the 500 Error on recent posts, but subsequent notifications (or lack thereof) have no discernible pattern.

Posted: 25 Aug 2023, 07:19 PM
Thorvald:
And now for something completely different:

It seems I've been randomly unsubbed from some forum threads. Originally I thought it was due to the [500 Error](https://www.side7.com/news/item/218) on recent posts, but subsequent notifications (or lack thereof) have no discernible pattern.

Hm. Something to look into after v5.18 launches.
-- BK

Posted: 27 Aug 2023, 08:50 PM

Another ghost reply (at least it's not the thread :^) )

Posted: 06 Sep 2023, 09:12 PM

...Another ghost thread. :x

Posted: 06 Sep 2023, 10:59 PM

Fixed. sigh This is getting old.

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-24 of 24