Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-8 of 8
Text can't be striked, and other formatting weirdness - Started by: dustsucker2099
Text can't be striked, and other formatting weirdness
Posted: 27 Jan 2024, 02:59 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 27 Jan 2024, 03:12 PM.

For a proof/test, here is in this journal, as the forum's text input box is different: https://side7.com/u/dustsucker2099/journal/1133

RE: Text can't be striked, and other formatting weirdness
Posted: 27 Jan 2024, 06:45 PM

Aye, the site originally used raw HTML (which still works) and the UI's translation to Markdown has created some discrepancies. Line breaks are finicky and wide spaces are automatically truncated, but can be brute-forced with <br> tags and special characters, respectively.

Posted: 27 Jan 2024, 09:40 PM

Yeah, Markdown has been a pain in the neck. It's on my list to phase out.
-- BK

Posted: 28 Jan 2024, 07:00 PM
BadKarma:
Yeah, Markdown has been a pain in the neck. It's on my list to phase out.

Hopefully by then we'll be able to edit comments: CivFanatics moved from vBulletin to Xenforo in 2016 and it broke formatting in several elements, specifically tables and (somehow) Unicode characters like curly-quotes and accent marks, and I still haven't patched everything. D:

Posted: 28 Jan 2024, 09:55 PM

This is not meant to pressure or anything, just thought to bring it up.

Posted: 28 Jan 2024, 11:49 PM

No, not feeling pressured, but thank you. I've had it on my list to take care of for a while; either phase it out or find a better Markdown parsing engine.
-- BK

Posted: 29 Jan 2024, 07:05 PM

Side 7 may be the first I've seen a website intentionally use multiple scripts in parallel. If you can find a better parser, that may be the better solution than ripping it out. Discord/InkBlot immigrants will know Markdown by rote, and it does make for a useful shorthand against full HTML/BBCode (especially on the Forums, which don't have a live editor).

Posted: 30 Jan 2024, 01:29 AM

I think I may have found a better parser. Will have to do some trials to see.
-- BK

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-8 of 8