Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-10 of 10
Was interested in your opinion. Would you consider it ethical or unwise for jobs relating to art (and by extension entertainment) to be reserved? - Started by: BatmanWilliams
Was interested in your opinion. Would you consider it ethical or unwise for jobs relating to art (and by extension entertainment) to be reserved?
Posted: 27 Jun 2024, 09:27 PM

Another question here related to artistic "philosophy", though unlike the other two, this is far from a new idea (though like the previous one and the one before it, it's second-hand planted by the same source that adheres to it and I'm mulling it over).

Artistry, when it's professional, is one of those jobs that almost anyone can do. Meanwhile, jobs based on necessity, such as chef, police officer, doctor, daycare worker, etc. are typically ones that require skill. Anyone can wake up one day and say "I want to be a royal guard", but they might happen to have developed a bad skill combo when it comes to that. However, anyone can wake up one day and say "I want to be an artist/author" and there wouldn't be as much doubt, not because success in art isn't based on skill but because of the appeal factor (see my first question for more on that).

Many have noticed this and said art should be reserved for people who have an unlucky skillset or are down on themselves economically, much of the time overlapping with those of us with disabilities. Which I can respect. Everywhere in the art world, you'll see people say it like "this job is all we can have, please don't take our job, you got way more oopportunities open, I bet you'd make a good chiropractor in our community". While this is economically considerate (in fact this is the business model for many local businesses), you also have the counter argument, the one which reminds people that exclusivizing jobs isn't exactly equal-opportunity, and an argument that could go both ways about how showbusiness of the marginalized was once an expression of ridicule rather than an expression of people trying to get by, even though the effect is the same (as well as a further argument about potential exploitation, some chain businesses have been under fire for this in the past).

I ask this question because the artist community is almost 50/50 between people who are monetarily unlucky and people who are average, and some of us have been thinking long and hard about how exactly we want to choose our associative decisions ever since AI art came under fire for throwing a wrench into peoples' professional lives. Do we choose the guy selling his doodles for nine dollars or the woman who is more meticulous but needs to live? Questions like that I'm sure recent developments in art have presented us all with. And I was wondering if, in your mind, you ever thought maybe it would be befitting or not that the art world is culturally seen as the kind of thing where it's higher etiquette (for a lack of a better phrasing) that people who are cornered into it should have dibs on that kind of occupational role.

RE: Was interested in your opinion. Would you consider it ethical or unwise for jobs relating to art (and by extension entertainment) to be reserved?
Posted: 27 Jun 2024, 09:37 PM

Draw what you want because you want to

RE: Was interested in your opinion. Would you consider it ethical or unwise for jobs relating to art (and by extension entertainment) to be reserved?
Posted: 27 Jun 2024, 10:32 PM

Correct me if I've got this wrong, but it sounds like you're suggesting that artists who aren't suffering financially should be charitable and refuse to take on commission work, so that only those who are suffering financially can earn that income? If so, that's bonkers, homie.

These questions are beginning to sound more and more like the bait posts that would pop up in certain forums (atheism, firearms, politics) that would be posed as a sincere inquiry, but the purpose of them was actually intended to stir up the crowd, so that the poster could record everyone's reaction and use that information, for example, as part of a college thesis. It feels too strange to be genuine.

Posted: 27 Jun 2024, 11:15 PM

Cynicallia:

Correct me if I've got this wrong, but it sounds like you're suggesting that artists who aren't suffering financially should be charitable and refuse to take on commission work, so that only those who are suffering financially can earn that income? If so, that's bonkers, homie.

These questions are beginning to sound more and more like the bait posts that would pop up in certain forums (atheism, firearms, politics) that would be posed as a sincere inquiry, but the purpose of them was actually intended to stir up the crowd, so that the poster could record everyone's reaction and use that information, for example, as part of a college thesis. It feels too strange to be genuine.

@Thorvald, I summon thee

Posted: 28 Jun 2024, 04:04 AM

You didn't have to go in depth on the Soranic school of thought like you were doing a eulogy.

I assume you're conflating or putting "art" (run-of-the-mill) and "the arts" in general in the same sphere so not to narrow the topic (the last time this was a topic, it was just the run-of-the-mill art). Worth mentioning when thinking of this for the first time, I thought of The Good Doctor and how the biggest constructive criticism is that the actor is nothing like the main character. Though I don't "look down" on the show, what people meant by that doesn't escape me.

Cynicallia:

I gather that's a matter of articulation. I remember times in certain places with a lot of people when everyone would expect things go awry but are unexpectedly open enough to make it through. Patient intentions are the key. But just in case anyone is thinking of that, how would someone define that?

Posted: 28 Jun 2024, 12:13 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 28 Jun 2024, 12:18 PM.

I feel like this premise is both nonsensical and also false. I've never witnessed a circumstance where anyone has ever suggested that art jobs should be only for people who need the money. I have seen though people say that theft + environmental destruction makes a machine-generated-image unethical. and if that machine is also being operated in such a way to theoretically take jobs away from humans, we ought not let people operate it, since humans need work, at least in the current societal structure. 

Posted: 28 Jun 2024, 04:57 PM

Cynicallia:

MeatchCleaver:

Cynicallia:

@Thorvald, I summon thee

I cannot prove my intentions, but I can vouch that wasn't an intention of mine, and I hope I did not come off that way. I was just expressing thoughts inspired by previous discussions in ways that would seem to fit discussions had in other forums that have subforums for in-depth discussion.

Fihyn:

I feel like this premise is both nonsensical and also false. I've never witnessed a circumstance where anyone has ever suggested that art jobs should be only for people who need the money. I have seen though people say that theft + environmental destruction makes a machine-generated-image unethical. and if that machine is also being operated in such a way to theoretically take jobs away from humans, we ought not let people operate it, since humans need work, at least in the current societal structure. 

It is or was very common on Twitter.

Posted: 28 Jun 2024, 05:54 PM

😭 I think you have your answer then, and that is that propositions born out of the specific flavor of madness that thrives on twitter are not ones that easily transplant into other environments. I might be so bold as to say no reliable discussions can be held on this basis (or lack thereof).

Posted: 29 Jun 2024, 11:52 AM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 29 Jun 2024, 04:38 PM.

Do ya have a nice job, like drawing and wouldn't mind making a few extra bucks with art? Knock yourself out, mate :3 Like I mentioned, its fun and if you're good enough to make money out of it and want to, then do so. I mean, who's gonna stop ya?

Posted: 02 Jul 2024, 11:06 PM

MeatchCleaver:
Cynicallia:

@Thorvald, I summon thee

Apologies for the wait. Staff is satisfied the OP is not engaging in questionable conduct. However, we are monitoring these threads out of concerns the esoteric nature of their questions is provoking exhaustion that may cross over into open hostility.

We would also greatly appreciate if future thread titles remain concise to the topic.

In unrelated commentary: I've been bingeing British WWII programmes recently, so talk of "reserved occupations" has me thinking of the draft. :P

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-10 of 10