Page 1 of 2 :: Viewing 1-25 of 26
What's something that you were surprised to find out a lot of people hate? - Started by: Rinnarrae
What's something that you were surprised to find out a lot of people hate?
Posted: 10 Jan 2024, 03:39 AM

I was surprised to find out Patchy the Pirate is pretty hated, which was semi the inspiration for this.

RE: What's something that you were surprised to find out a lot of people hate?
Posted: 10 Jan 2024, 03:45 AM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 10 Jan 2024, 06:24 AM.

Ignore this I was an idiot who did not realize I left the OP unpublished

Posted: 10 Jan 2024, 03:46 AM

Also is it just me or is this thread broken?

Posted: 10 Jan 2024, 05:59 PM

Why do people hate Patchy? He was one of my favorite SpongeBob characters as a kid!

Posted: 10 Jan 2024, 07:42 PM

Black coffee, and hot tea. Most people I know won't touch these drinks without milk and sugar, or at least not while they're still hot. Can't tell ya how many times people have thrown that pseudo-psychology survey at me to suggest that my drink preferences are a "warning sign." Taking psysical damage from dairy and most sweeteners ≠ a threat to self and society, thx.

Posted: 10 Jan 2024, 08:14 PM

Call me crazy, but I was surprised a lot of people hated Jar Jar Binks, especially to the point of sending death threats to the actor who portrayed him. Granted my introduction to Jar Jar Binks was the Clone Wars series, where he was actually a useful character, but the guy who played him almost literally couldn't live with himself all because Star Wars fans at the time thought a lowbrow comic relief character was unfitting of the franchise. Not knowing the full context at the time, I more anticipated he was a character that inspired you to think "yeah not one of their best ideas", not "let's call for the death of the actor and everything he loves". Star Wars fans also did the same thing to Jake Lloyd, the not-even-ten-year-old boy who played Anakin in The Phantom Menace, giving him a reverse-child-star treatment.

People wonder what happens to great franchises. Well, there you go.

Posted: 10 Jan 2024, 10:08 PM
Shadane:
Why do people hate Patchy? He was one of my favorite SpongeBob characters as a kid!

I never hate patchy the Pirate, even when he isn't my favorite Spongebob character

Posted: 10 Jan 2024, 10:09 PM

Pineapple on Pizza is another thing lot of People hate, but I never mind that much

Posted: 10 Jan 2024, 10:51 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 10 Jan 2024, 10:52 PM.
Shadane:

Apparently some people thought he was weird and annoying? My guess is also kids just wanting to get to the cartoon.

Posted: 10 Jan 2024, 10:52 PM
This post has been edited 3 times. Last edit on 10 Jan 2024, 10:59 PM.
Cynicallia:
Black coffee, and hot tea. Most people I know won't touch these drinks without milk and sugar, or at least not while they're still hot. Can't tell ya how many times people have thrown that pseudo-psychology survey at me to suggest that my drink preferences are a "warning sign." Taking psysical damage from dairy and most sweeteners ≠ a threat to self and society, thx.

Tea is my favorite drink, though I'll usually put a little honey in it depending on the kind I'm having. I think the problem is (at least in America) a lot of people not making it right, and generally most of the ones you'll find in grocery stores being low quality. If it's good tea though I'd be fine drinking it without a sweetener.

Posted: 10 Jan 2024, 10:59 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 10 Jan 2024, 11:05 PM.
Shadane:

Rinnarrae:
Apparently some people thought he was weird and annoying? My guess is also kids just wanting to get to the cartoon.

I think it's less Patchy himself than how the live-action sequences play differently from the main show. If you read the hammy acting and comic absurdity (even by SB standards) at face value, rather than intentional parody (of low-budget public access kids' programmes), I can understand why people would think the segments "cheap" compared to animated episodes. That, or people watching SpongeBob for SpongeBob don't want to put up with what's basically a different show. I personally have no problem with Patchy, and as a satirist I sympathize with the goal. :P

(N.B.: I haven't seriously followed SpongeBob after Season 3, so I don't know how he's used in later episodes.)

Posted: 10 Jan 2024, 11:12 PM
This post has been edited 3 times. Last edit on 11 Jan 2024, 02:04 AM.
Thorvald:
I think it's less Patchy himself than how the live-action sequences play differently from the main show. If you read the hammy acting and comic absurdity (even by SB standards) at face value, rather than intentional parody (of low-budget public access kids' programmes), I can understand why people would think the segments "cheap" compared to animated episodes. That, or people watching *SpongeBob* for SpongeBob don't want to put up with what's basically a different show. I personally have no problem with Patchy, and as a satirist I sympathize with the goal. :P

(**N.B.:** I haven't seriously followed *SpongeBob* after Season 3, so I don't know how he's used in later episodes.)

I think they stopped using him for awhile, but then started using him again at some point recently? I've not sat down and watched it since I was about twelve though. I know they've still done some specials with him well after season 3, such as it's 10th anniversary.
That would make a lot of sense too.

Posted: 11 Jan 2024, 04:50 AM
Rinnarrae:
Thorvald:
I think it's less Patchy himself than how the live-action sequences play differently from the main show. If you read the hammy acting and comic absurdity (even by SB standards) at face value, rather than intentional parody (of low-budget public access kids' programmes), I can understand why people would think the segments "cheap" compared to animated episodes. That, or people watching *SpongeBob* for SpongeBob don't want to put up with what's basically a different show. I personally have no problem with Patchy, and as a satirist I sympathize with the goal. :P

(**N.B.:** I haven't seriously followed *SpongeBob* after Season 3, so I don't know how he's used in later episodes.)

I think they stopped using him for awhile, but then started using him again at some point recently? I've not sat down and watched it since I was about twelve though. I know they've still done some specials with him well after season 3, such as it's 10th anniversary.
That would make a lot of sense too.

I think it was around that time a rumor was spread around that Tom Kenny passed away from a fatal cardiac infarction, which was debunked by the simple fact that he still appears in public, but that aside. I remember that, and the last time he showed up was in the form of lazy Photoshop animation with Potty only appearing in the form of a framed portrait until they brought him back. I still find him funny at times.

Posted: 11 Jan 2024, 04:53 AM
Cynicallia:

I don't hate black coffee, though I prefer mine sweetened, if I ever do take it, which is rare. I love hot tea though.

Posted: 11 Jan 2024, 04:59 PM

I’m surprised that some people really don’t like spicy Skittles, I once tried a bag of these things a few years ago and I thought they tasted pretty decent, but that’s because I have a soft spot for sweet/spicy stuff in general.

Posted: 11 Jan 2024, 05:17 PM
N0-11:
I’m surprised that some people really don’t like spicy Skittles, I once tried a bag of these things a few years ago and I thought they tasted pretty decent, but that’s because I have a soft spot for sweet/spicy stuff in general.

I loved spicy skittles, I just love spicy food in general, but unfortunately, spicy food just doesn't love me back, because it upsets my stomach. Like my bf said, it's a very one-sided relationship.

Posted: 11 Jan 2024, 06:01 PM

My stomach used to have issues with spicy food, and I think it gotten used to it a little bit.
But yeah, I sometimes wish Spicy Skittles comes back imo.

Posted: 12 Jan 2024, 02:43 AM

Basic black jellybeans. They were my favorite as a kid, and I didn't like any of the other flavors, so I would trade them with my sibs and classmates. No one else liked Red Hots (chewy cinnamon flavored candies) either, so I would take those in exchange for any yicky fruity gummies that I had.

Posted: 12 Jan 2024, 07:08 AM

It's Kids. If your on Social media a lot. I mean I see it a lot on Twitter(Not calling it X) if a child have a Hot take on something (Usually on how Adult fans of certain Cartoon,Movie,Game and Show for Kids or so trying to be weird about certain things or more representation in the media then before) The people would Attack them in Comments or Quote Retweets or if talk there experience with ""Certain people"" adult would Victim Blame them which I think it's not ok to do. If don't like them don't interact with them. I get why people hate kids like they are bratty or they act disrespectful to adults. When anyone can be a brat at any age it doesn't matter if your 7 or 71. You acting like a brat. Also anyone can very much disrespectful to anyone because human sucks and sometimes we don't like certain people for many reasons. Sometimes these people also want to gatekeep what age you have to have an opinion or so. And they also say they care about kid's well-being but ironically hate them. Which I think is weird and Ironic of them.

Posted: 17 Jan 2024, 08:59 AM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 17 Jan 2024, 09:00 AM.

teen titans go, i used to watch it a lot on CN as a kid, i only found it annoying that they aired it 24/7

Posted: 17 Jan 2024, 07:15 PM
Sir-Meatch-Cleaver:
[@Thorvald](/u/Thorvald/gallery), a lot of people hate him for some reason :( I think he's nice

That surprises me to read, he's one of the most thoughtful and understanding people I've met. If anyone here can wield mjolnir, it's him.

Posted: 17 Jan 2024, 07:48 PM
This post has been edited 4 times. Last edit on 17 Jan 2024, 07:54 PM.
RainbowDoggieUnicorn:
It's Kids. If your on Social media a lot. I mean I see it a lot on Twitter(Not calling it X) if a child have a Hot take on something (Usually on how Adult fans of certain Cartoon,Movie,Game and Show for Kids or so trying to be weird about certain things or more representation in the media then before) The people would Attack them in Comments or Quote Retweets or if talk there experience with ""Certain people"" adult would Victim Blame them which I think it's not ok to do. If don't like them don't interact with them. I get why people hate kids like they are bratty or they act disrespectful to adults. When anyone can be a brat at any age it doesn't matter if your 7 or 71. You acting like a brat. Also anyone can very much disrespectful to anyone because human sucks and sometimes we don't like certain people for many reasons. Sometimes these people also want to gatekeep what age you have to have an opinion or so. And they also say they care about kid's well-being but ironically hate them. Which I think is weird and Ironic of them.

I disagree that anyone can be a brat at any age, since the definition is "a badly behaved child", but then again these people do act like bratty children, so I don't know what to think beyond that.
I'll say this though, I don't get why people hate kids, because you can't choose your age. I'm going to call it what it is, it's ageism; people act like that only applies to the elderly, but the way I was treated as a kid proves otherwise. I had people like this bullying me on DeviantArt for the simple fact that I was 14 and not 18, but the moment I did turn 18, they still hated my guts because they remembered that I used to be a child, even though I was a legal adult at that point. I don't know what more they wanted from me, but I personally can't stand people who hate anyone based simply on how old or young they are. I thought it was common sense to not hate people based on a physical or biological trait that they can't change, but I guess I was wrong since racism is still alive and well.
I do have a question though, how do you "ironically" hate children? I thought it was all or nothing, they either find minors disgusting or they don't?

Posted: 17 Jan 2024, 08:34 PM
chaseawaythedark:
Sir-Meatch-Cleaver:
[@Thorvald](/u/Thorvald/gallery), a lot of people hate him for some reason :( I think he's nice

That surprises me to read, he's one of the most thoughtful and understanding people I've met. If anyone here can wield mjolnir, it's him.

...I thought he was responding to my Patchy post. Llama Emoji-10 (Shy) (V1)

Sir-Meatch-Cleaver:
I don't know the whole history but it's probably regarding some weird, ancient tribal rivalry or something

The details are OPSEC but the gist of it is they poisoned my water supply, burned my crops, and kidnapped the woman I'm sworn to protect and may or may not be romantically involved with. :c

Posted: 03 Apr 2024, 03:44 AM

SELTZER. its so good,, but ppl hate it so much ...

Posted: 24 Apr 2024, 03:39 PM

Thrash metal. Maybe there’s better genres of metal or I’m not particularly good at identifying metal subgenres with the music I listen to, but I find it a little baffling so many people didn’t like King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard’s PetroDragonic album.

Page 1 of 2 :: Viewing 1-25 of 26