Page 1 of 2 :: Viewing 1-25 of 27
things that fandoms ruined for you - Started by: Masonicon
things that fandoms ruined for you
Posted: 17 May 2023, 11:05 PM
This post has been edited 2 times. Last edit on 22 May 2023, 02:16 AM.

everyone have something that (bad) fandoms ruined(often as a whole) for themselves

This even includes something you used to be your interest, but fandoms ruined it for you, so you ended up losing interest on it or even hate it

let's start with mine: Five Nights at Freddy's series, Loud House, and Gacha Life/Club

RE: things that fandoms ruined for you
Posted: 18 May 2023, 03:08 AM

>be me
>wrong type of person on mcyttwt
>get harassmented
>suibait sent to inbox

mcyttwt has ruined my ability to be out and proud! except for places that are/feel safe. like Tumblr.

Posted: 18 May 2023, 10:04 AM

The thing that annoys me the most about Fandoms is the repetition and how obsessed the fans get. While not the only one, the Undertale/Delta Rune fans in particular go overboard with it and can go on for months posting the same memes and flooding every site with their game

Posted: 18 May 2023, 12:35 PM
Warehouse_Rabbit:
The thing that annoys me the most about Fandoms is the repetition and how obsessed the fans get. While not the only one, the Undertale/Delta Rune fans in particular go overboard with it and can go on for months posting the same memes and flooding every site with their game

Agreed somewhat, at least in the fan's obsession part

Posted: 18 May 2023, 01:23 PM
HimejoshiHeart:
>be me
>get harassmented
>suibait sent to inbox

mcyttwt has ruined my ability to be out and proud! except for places that are/feel safe. like Tumblr.

You get any kind of harassment on Side 7, let me know.
-- BK

Posted: 18 May 2023, 01:36 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 18 May 2023, 02:29 PM.
BadKarma:
HimejoshiHeart:
>be me
>get harassmented
>suibait sent to inbox

You get any kind of harassment on Side 7, let me know.
-- BK

Well done :3
Continuing what I was saying, I suppose I also absolutely despize the "sacred cow" mentality some fans take. Again, most annoying...

Posted: 18 May 2023, 05:33 PM

Some fandoms truly can be a piece of work (I'm well aware of how the Star Wars fandom is for example, or the Beatles in the case of celebrity fandoms), but none of them have given me any true reason to be why I move away from that franchise or that celebrity (that happens because they're not good franchises/celebrities). The closest thing you might see from me is Hazbin Hotel... I have mentioned before that the fact that there being one pilot episode that never amounted to anything and that GIF lovers and trolls have driven it into the ground makes it seem like they're fandom farming. However, even that isn't enough to make me judge the artwork in its entirety.

Posted: 18 May 2023, 09:33 PM

Spyro. I love the games don't get me wrong, but the fandom is a dumpster fire I don't want to associate with. There is (or was, I'm not sure if things have died down) essentially a 3 way split in the fanbase with classic fans VS The legend of Spyro fans VS skylanders arguing over what version of Spyro is the best or 'true' incarnation of the character and had that 'you're not a true fan if X' gatekeeper mentality, but the most vocal, whiny and immature part of the fandom is made up of adult fans, mostly people in their 20s-30s who grew up with the PS1 trilogy, who should know better than to behave like entitled children over kid's media.

Also, the TLOS part of the fandom had a weird obsession with Cynder, the only female dragon character in the series which really soured my feelings toward the character, not to mention all the inappropriate fanart featuring her. Keep in mind that both she and Spyro are canonically child characters.

Posted: 19 May 2023, 04:07 AM

All I'll say is.

As a child in the 90's, I loved the Marvel Cartoons and used to read Uncanny X-Men.

As a teen in the mid 2000's, a friens got me into Deadpool and I started collecting Deadpool and Cable, had also read a couple of the civil war issues.

I think the fandom in addition to pandering dickheads from Marvel really ruined Deadpool.

Deadpool was at his best when he was on the job, within a proper story that didn't absolutely revolve around him.

They're always just trying up the wackiness and comical aspect of Deadpool, but there were other, equally appealing aspects to him as a character. His scumbag, amoral mercenary personality, always went with the money and wasn't afraid to stab friends or allies in the back. It's why he worked so well with Cable, who was this idealistic altruist who was from the future and knew what others didn't, Cable always had a plan for a better tomorrow.

Now I can't stand Marvel in general.

I blame a lot of the fandom for that, both old and new.

Posted: 19 May 2023, 06:41 AM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 19 May 2023, 06:42 AM.

I used to be Neutral on Amourshipping(Ash x Serena) until either whoever forces others to ship that as well Serena's return in Pokemon Journeys can makes me hate it

Organization XIII from Kingdom Hearts is fictional characters that fans makes me hate them from they make yaoi shippings of them(which fanarts overwhelms me back when I searching for KH2 fanarts in my early days of Deviantart, perhaps before I secure my deviantart account there)

Posted: 19 May 2023, 08:56 PM

I'm a fan of a lot of things, but I've never been A Fan™ of anything, and conversations like these make me think I didn't so much dodge a bullet as Matrix-dodge a creeping barrage.

The-Wizard-of-Zaar:
I think the fandom in addition to pandering dickheads from Marvel really ruined Deadpool. ...

This is unironically the most sober post I've ever seen you make. It feels weird, but in a good way. :p

Posted: 19 May 2023, 10:01 PM
Thorvald:
I'm a fan of a lot of things, but I've never been A Fan™ of anything, and conversations like these make me think I didn't so much dodge a bullet as [Matrix-dodge a creeping barrage](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2q0T7QXETs).

The-Wizard-of-Zaar:
I think the fandom in addition to pandering dickheads from Marvel really ruined Deadpool. ...

This is unironically the most sober post I've ever seen you make. It feels weird, but in a good way. :p

I don't drink.

Posted: 20 May 2023, 01:26 AM
SheevraSidhe0274:
X-Men - 'how many times can we resurrect Jean Grey/Scott Summers/insert X-Men character here'. Just like ENOUGH already...

Yes!

Yes!

Posted: 21 May 2023, 01:07 PM
Masonicon:
everyone have something that (bad) fandoms ruined(often as a whole) for themselves

This even includes something you used to be your interest, but fandoms ruined it for you

let's start with mine: Five Nights at Freddy's series, Loud House, and Gacha Life/Club

REMAKES...like stop it already lmfao. Also toxic fanbases too.

Posted: 22 May 2023, 05:46 PM
SheevraSidhe0274:
Is there even in existence a fanbase that Doesn't have toxic members?????

Dune?

Tangential to WoZ's original post but I came across an article on how it's not just Disney but the entire Triple-A film industry that's succumbed to Endstage Capitalism, and it feels somewhat apropos.

Posted: 23 May 2023, 04:44 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 23 May 2023, 04:49 PM.

I hate how the cartoon and anime fandoms act, mostly the cartoon fandom, same with the hatedom of both too.
(It’s still for the better that I’ll read manga and watch anime in private, and really old cartoons too, the new stuff isn’t as good anyways.)
(Sorry for sounding so cynical, US entertainment in the present is a joke, at least the AAA part of it.)
(I frankly sometimes wish people stop having dreams of working in Hollywood too tbh.)
(I also always feel out of place in most fandoms, but that’s a me problem.)

Posted: 24 May 2023, 04:23 AM
N0-11:
I hate how the cartoon and anime fandoms act, mostly the cartoon fandom, same with the hatedom of both too.
(It’s still for the better that I’ll read manga and watch anime in private, and really old cartoons too, the new stuff isn’t as good anyways.)
(Sorry for sounding so cynical, US entertainment in the present is a joke, at least the AAA part of it.)
(I frankly sometimes wish people stop having dreams of working in Hollywood too tbh.)
(I also always feel out of place in most fandoms, but that’s a me problem.)

Yeh fuckin oath.

The goal should be the work, enjoyment of the work and achieving and publicizing it upon completion.

You see entire fuckin discord servers of WANNABE artists and animators flying around those who've gotten some notoriety or exposure for what they make... Somehow hoping it'll rub off on them? Or they can piggy back off them or learn what? To be like them by emulating them exactly?

I honestly don't know.

I'm not saying don't be a big fan of someone else... But if you want to be an artist, just be an artist. Do your own thing, play your own game and be satisfied with the work you do.

Some mediocre people become famous and make good money, some exceptional people make great things and only get recognized after they're dead.

But if you're an artist of whatever kind, you do your thing because it's what makes you happy and you're compelled within yourself to do it.

The whole cartoon/animation fandom as a broad umbrella is a very, very mixed bag.

You have many wholesome, benign fans who just love cartoons or specific ones for harmless, sincere reasons.

Then we have all these sick fuck pedos or just other kinds of nasty characters, as well as fetishists of many types.

And even that last group... People who are into growth, expansion, medical procedure, obesity, detachable head, etc... So long as it isn't predatory in nature or intent; I may not understand it, but I'm not against it.

I'm a big Star Trek fan, and wow I've seen some absolute scumbags within that fandom.

Imagine someone threatening to kill you, or attacking you over social media and trying to dox you over nit agreeing with your take on a TNG character.

But as said before, that exists within all fandoms on some degree.

Posted: 24 May 2023, 11:58 AM

Yeah, some die-hard fans can take it too far, I’ll still happily do my thing with my art/animations.
(I still have a bone to pick with Hollywood star wannabes)

Posted: 25 May 2023, 05:50 PM

Ooohhh one thing I super hate in fandoms is when someone takes their headcanons and try to shove them down your throat claiming they "fixed" the canon timeline or story or whatever. Or just, being so obsessed with your hcs that you can't enjoy a piece of media without getting so defensive when others don't agree with you.

I also don't like when people gatekeep me because I'm a "casual" fan at best most of the time. Idk I can't get oBsEsSeD like the way certain people do. My hyperfixation is different and there is nothing wrong with how I consume media compared to someone else. Idk I guess it's just reminiscent of kids on the playground not wanting to play with you because you're different -shrug-

Posted: 26 May 2023, 03:37 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 24 Sep 2023, 12:31 AM.

Posted: 27 May 2023, 01:12 AM
Cynicallia:
I had an all-time favorite character who was largely unheard of, or ignored, by the overall fandom. It was rare to find other fans and artwork, so when I did, it was a lot of fun, and we almost always became friends over it. Inevitably, the poor lad became popular, and I haven't seen normal fanart of him in ages. I can ignore the boring fan/canon fluff, even though I personally hate to see him twisted into a soft, romantic, character who genuinely cares about anyone or anything besides money. But, the fetishes that artists drag him into..? I won't even search his name any more. He deserves to be punished, sure, but he did not deserve those things that the fandom did to him.

Damn, that's happened to me more times than I care to think about... It sucks when people do that shit.

Posted: 15 Sep 2023, 10:20 PM

To actually answer the OP, Wookieepedia refusing to leave even the tiniest speck of sand undocumented like it's the cornerstone to a university thesis. Now, if it was simply pedantic obsession like Conan Antonio Motti I might have been able to grin and bear it, but you'll see people hell-bent on creating huge elaborate backstories to ensure every statement and claim has a backing citation, no matter how trivial or simply unnecessary. We can argue about Disney's direction of the Star Wars franchise, but dumping the calcified and convoluted Expanded Universe lore was probably necessary for sanity's sake.

This "ambiguity bad" mindset cropped up in DYOS via (aptly enough) our resident Star Wars #1 Fan, who would craft whole comics for the sole purpose of "proving" a statement in our own wiki to 'claim' the narrative—and they read just as clunky and arbitrary as they sound. It kills creativity, it destroys mysticism, and it makes you want to pick up Occam's razor and stab 'em with it. Well, Darthipedia's Jax Pavan Project may be the ultimate satire of that sort of woods-for-the-trees gatekeeping.

May have inspired this post. :3

Posted: 16 Sep 2023, 06:25 AM

Yeh fuck Starwars!

Posted: 16 Sep 2023, 10:11 PM
The-Wizard-of-Zaar:
Yeh fuck Starwars!

that's why I like Warhammer 40k better, even when I have nothing against Star Wars as much as even you did

Posted: 16 Sep 2023, 10:53 PM
Masonicon:
The-Wizard-of-Zaar:
Yeh fuck Starwars!

that's why I like Warhammer 40k better, even when I have nothing against Star Wars as much as even you did

40K was 👌

I'm losing touch with it now. Basically I'm filthy with GW ever since they killed WHFB.

FUCK AGE OF SIGMAR.

Page 1 of 2 :: Viewing 1-25 of 27