Page 3 of 4 :: Viewing 51-75 of 88
Wish List Time! - Started by: BadKarma
RE: Wish List Time!
Posted: 19 May 2024, 06:18 PM

Ah! I totally misunderstood, then.

Yeah, we could institute something like "kiribans". That could be a lot of fun especially if we can institute achieving certain badges or rewards.

-- BK

Posted: 26 May 2024, 10:11 AM

There should be more of these cool perks, I think. And the ability to gift them to eachother mayhaps.

I am thinking more about the "buy once", but the (planned?) subscription idea also applies. Just ontop of my head; another storage space upgrade, an additional custom box of contents... I don't know. The sky is the limit and someone is probably more inventive than me.

I know there is a balance to have with these, but the framework is already very clever set up to not make it feel like a paywall for features. It is absolutely possible to participate on this site and save up on credits for some time if you really want to get a certain perk later down the road. Atleast that is how it is today.

Maybe there needs to be a separate "perks" thread for discussing these things in more detail later.

Posted: 26 May 2024, 01:55 PM

More cool perks are being planned and worked on. :) It's always been my goal to make the perks extra niceties for your account, rather than hamstringing an account and forcing people to pay to get general functionality. I hate those kinds of paywalls.

Subscriptions are also on the planning board. They are coming, I promise, along with a higher tier of storage space and other ideas. I have a long list of new features, bug fixes, and miscellaneous updates to get through. :)

The idea of gifting perks is interesting. I'll add that to my Under Consideration list.

-- BK

Posted: 26 May 2024, 03:53 PM

By all means, take your time. Things are already good going for great and beyond.

(Oh man I have Comic Sans and Windings now? And colors and stuff. I did not expect that! Excellent!)

Posted: 06 Jun 2024, 10:06 AM

I kind of miss having some elaborate 'About us' section added into the Help menu.
Being a sucker for digging in to internet history and reflecting on the past a lot, it would be really intresting for me to have a time line and some info about the site. Maybe even screenshots - if possible.

I am probably the only one to ever mention this but - it is certainly my cup of tea so I'll just throw it in there :D

Posted: 06 Jun 2024, 10:56 AM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 06 Jun 2024, 10:56 AM.

(Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I haven't read every post.)

Have you considered a physical merch store? If you sell things like Side7 vinyl stickers, enamel pins, and T-shirts (with designs submitted by artists here), and issue some Site Credits or a FAotD Token as a bonus (for spending a certain amount, I guess?), that could generate not only revenue, but also interest, serving as a conversation starter and attracting new site members.

Posted: 06 Jun 2024, 12:29 PM

ragukokarn:
I kind of miss having some elaborate 'About us' section added into the Help menu.
Being a sucker for digging in to internet history and reflecting on the past a lot, it would be really intresting for me to have a time line and some info about the site. Maybe even screenshots - if possible.

I am probably the only one to ever mention this but - it is certainly my cup of tea so I'll just throw it in there :D

We used to have one. I should remake it some time.

-- BK

Posted: 06 Jun 2024, 12:31 PM

Cynicallia:

Have you considered a physical merch store? If you sell things like Side7 vinyl stickers, enamel pins, and T-shirts (with designs submitted by artists here), and issue some Site Credits or a FAotD Token as a bonus (for spending a certain amount, I guess?), that could generate not only revenue, but also interest, serving as a conversation starter and attracting new site members.

We had a merch store back in the early 2000s. I think we sold a total of about 6 shirts. But, with there being a much larger selection of things you can "self-produce" for merch, maybe we'd have a better chance at it. I'll do some research into costs. Thanks for the suggestion.

-- BK

Posted: 06 Jun 2024, 02:56 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 06 Jun 2024, 03:01 PM.

edit: nevermind! I realized there was totally something already implemented for what I asked for xD my bad haha

Posted: 06 Jun 2024, 04:06 PM

Fihyn:
edit: nevermind! I realized there was totally something already implemented for what I asked for xD my bad haha

Okay! No worries!

-- BK

Posted: 06 Jun 2024, 10:21 PM

BadKarma:

Cynicallia:

We had a merch store back in the early 2000s. I think we sold a total of about 6 shirts. But, with there being a much larger selection of things you can "self-produce" for merch, maybe we'd have a better chance at it. I'll do some research into costs. Thanks for the suggestion.

-- BK

That is an intresting idea that I never thought of myself. Though the shipping and handling to Scandinavia would be crazy expensive I imagine. Or just not even possible at all. Still, it is a cool idea - much supported. Having a side7 t-shirt or mouse pad, now we're talking! :)

Posted: 08 Jun 2024, 01:38 PM

ragukokarn:
That is an intresting idea that I never thought of myself. Though the shipping and handling to Scandinavia would be crazy expensive I imagine. Or just not even possible at all. Still, it is a cool idea - much supported. Having a side7 t-shirt or mouse pad, now we're talking! :)

I would love to do world-wide shipping. Side 7's membership is from all around the world, after all.

-- BK

Posted: 08 Jun 2024, 04:12 PM

I wish I have a Jason Funderberker plush doll (it's Wirt's "rival", not Greg's frog). Jason Funderberker has a cute face and he looks like someone you just want to cuddle.

Posted: 09 Jun 2024, 05:59 PM
This post has been edited 2 times. Last edit on 13 Jun 2024, 06:19 PM.

I also wish I have a big block of pottery clay with a cheap price, too.

Posted: 12 Jun 2024, 08:17 PM

I just realized... You know what would be really cool? Being able to visit random users and submissions! Or even random submissions from a person's profile.

Sometimes I don't know where I want to look other than the front page @@;.

Posted: 12 Jun 2024, 10:15 PM

shadowkyogre:
I just realized... You know what would be really cool? Being able to visit random users and submissions! Or even random submissions from a person's profile.

Sometimes I don't know where I want to look other than the front page @@;.

On the drawing board. :)

-- BK

Posted: 14 Jun 2024, 07:21 PM

If something like sta.sh is far too daunting of a task, another option could be to have something like a "community folder" option in the Image Category list for submissions where you can upload stuff that doesn't go in your gallery nor trigger a notification for followers.

In effect hidden unless you link to it. (It could be useful to be able to browse the section in some way if you need to remove things, though.)

It would be on your own storage space and saves external source linking for stuff you might want use here. There could be a workaround already for this today here, if so - just ignore this idiot :)

Posted: 14 Jun 2024, 10:28 PM

ragukokarn:
If something like sta.sh is far too daunting of a task, another option could be to have something like a "community folder" option in the Image Category list for submissions where you can upload stuff that doesn't go in your gallery nor trigger a notification for followers.

In effect hidden unless you link to it. (It could be useful to be able to browse the section in some way if you need to remove things, though.)

It would be on your own storage space and saves external source linking for stuff you might want use here. There could be a workaround already for this today here, if so - just ignore this idiot :)

It would require a whole new system to develop to accommodate a sta.sh clone.

So, let me make sure I understand the requests:

1. A place to upload images that aren't in the gallery, and is notification-free.
  2. A way to link to these stored files for use on external sites and such.
  3. Storage space management of some sort.
  4. Still have it linked to your S7 account.

That could definitely be a future project. There's some different tech from Side 7 I'd want to use for something like that. Would have to figure out how to afford the additional costs of doing that.

-- BK

Posted: 14 Jun 2024, 11:01 PM
This post has been edited 1 time. Last edit on 14 Jun 2024, 11:43 PM.

@BadKarma:

EDIT: Nevermind. I gave this another thought and it is not at all an unsolvable problem. Just an optimization thing, really.

Carry on :)

Posted: 14 Jun 2024, 11:59 PM

I'm curious about what you had to say.

Breaking down the different requirements of such a project, it doesn't seem that difficult, and could probably be done within Side 7.

What kinds of use cases do you see this being used for?

-- BK

Posted: 15 Jun 2024, 12:34 AM

@BadKarma:

Ok then, so the "problems" that I wanted to solve with my somewhat wishy washy idea were

1). Not having to set up any external accounts for hosting custom things  - you could still submit most things directly to side7 after all, it is not that big of a deal. All it means is a potential flood of custom "things" on the recent submissions list that may go on for a while. 

2). Being able to tuck things away in your own storage so that it doesn't clog any galleries up with these - hence a "hidden" category that you can have these things in that does not trigger a notification for anyone, accessible only by links

The other point hold some validity. If I wanted to upload, let's be silly, 2000 custom 32x32 pixel icons that I made and really love using all over the place (because I am crazy, I guess?), then that would be insufferable for everyone to watch. It would be a good feature to not have those causing a notification, end up in the recent submissions list for days and then being able to tuck those away hidden somewhere.

The idea of having a category in the list that does not trigger certain things is really what I was after. 

Posted: 15 Jun 2024, 12:37 AM

Ah, I see what you're talking about now. Okay, that makes sense to me. I'll put together a ticket for this as a future feature.

-- BK

Posted: 15 Jun 2024, 08:48 PM

Sort of in that vein, I thought it had come up in forum chat but a quick search shows no leads: DeviantArt features a special "Scraps" folder that is part of the user's public gallery but effectively delisted unless followers specifically look for it. Something similar would probably fit @ragukokarn's purposes: a "private" partition of the gallery that doesn't show up in the general index or follower notifications, to store miscellany not considered "proper" submissions. I've actually held off porting the Hark! A Vagrant icons on a similar rationale.

Posted: 15 Jun 2024, 09:11 PM

Thorvald:

Sort of in that vein, I thought it had come up in forum chat but a quick search shows no leads: DeviantArt features a special "Scraps" folder that is part of the user's public gallery but effectively delisted unless followers specifically look for it. Something similar would probably fit @ragukokarn's purposes: a "private" partition of the gallery that doesn't show up in the general index or follower notifications, to store miscellany not considered "proper" submissions. I've actually held off porting the Hark! A Vagrant icons on a similar rationale.

This exact suggestion was put in a text document I had prepared to send over to BadKarma because I did not want to flood the wish list thread with too much of my own stuff all at once. It is good you brought this up, because this is really another - and probably better - way of solving any issues.

Posted: 16 Jun 2024, 03:11 PM

ragukokarn:
Thorvald:

This exact suggestion was put in a text document I had prepared to send over to BadKarma because I did not want to flood the wish list thread with too much of my own stuff all at once. It is good you brought this up, because this is really another - and probably better - way of solving any issues.

I'll add all of this to a ticket for a future feature set.

-- BK

Page 3 of 4 :: Viewing 51-75 of 88