Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-5 of 5
So DeviantArt is committing suicide... - Started by: Thorvald
So DeviantArt is committing suicide...
Posted: 11 Nov 2022, 11:08 PM

Recent announcements concerning dA's relationship with AI learning programmes have led to massive public backlash against a mealy-mouthed opt-out policy, with concerned long-time users shuttering their galleries in fear of being scraped. How much slack can Side 7 pick up?

Having been burned in the Chernobyl meltdown that was Buzzly.art and discovering InkBlot was built more in line with Twitter, finding a site with the Old dA vibe and a proven track record was the godsend I'd been awaiting since way back in 2015. However, I'd heard rumours that Side 7's financial situation is break-even, and while there are plenty of people I know who would love to join, not so many would be able to pay. Seeing what happens when a skeleton staff is swamped with a sudden influx of new users, I'm worried whether the site is able to handle a mass migration—to say nothing of how it might disrupt the small-town community feel it's cultivated for itself.

Long story short, has Staff given thought to a strategic plan for expanding operations, and are there hard numbers for what it would need in the short term?

RE: So DeviantArt is committing suicide...
Posted: 11 Nov 2022, 11:44 PM

All good questions.

I just heard about the dA decision this afternoon, so I'm still looking into what that might mean for Side 7. Of course, having more users on the site, especially if they're active, would be awesome. I'm not 100% convinced that many of the people who are choosing to leave dA will end up here. But, with that being said...

The infrastructure behind Side 7 is pretty robust. It's built on a scalable cloud platform, so it can grow or shrink to meet demand and traffic. That's not a worry at this time. Financially, with the exception of the very occasional donation, Side 7 is and always has been 100% out-of-pocket for me. That started all the way back in 1993, and has remained the case. I have vowed never to make Side 7 pay-to-play. No user will ever be required to pay to use the site. Even the perk upgrades can be earned through participation on the site rather than paying for it, although paying for the perks to get them immediately is an option.

Now, if we were to get a huge influx of users to the site, I am unsure of how that would change the community. I would hope that the community would continue to be cordial, friendly, and "small-town" as you put it. Even if that does change, though, user groups is a feature that is in the works, so that small-town feel could be maintained within a user group. But, I'm unsure how to predict the social changes that would occur from a large influx of users.

This is currently an on-going discussion behind-the-scenes. Hopefully, any new influx of users will not cause any detriment, but we're taking into consideration contingency ideas.

-- BK

Posted: 12 Nov 2022, 07:34 PM

Well, if you're confident you can handle the server overhead, I'll start spreading the word amongst my inner circle. My biggest fear is inadvertently snuffing out a promising dAlternative with too much too soon. ^^;

Posted: 12 Nov 2022, 07:50 PM

I appreciate the caution. But, feel free to let others know about the site. Make sure they know your username so you can get credit for the referrals!

-- BK

Posted: 15 Nov 2022, 10:25 PM

Wooooah hooohoooah!

Taxi.

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-5 of 5